Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What's Available Online?
For a book to be legally digitized and available online, either the holder of the copyright has to give permission for the digitization, or the book needs to be in the public domain. In the U.S., books in the public domain are usually those that were published
prior to 1923, although under certain limited conditions later works may also be in the public domain. Books that are freely available online will be those that are in the public domain.
- Hathi Trust
- The HathiTrust Digital Library includes millions of books, government publications, dissertations, journals, and other published and unpublished materials. Created by a partnership of academic and research institutions, the Library offers materials digitized from collections in libraries around the world. Titles published prior to 1923 and those that are open access or Creative Commons-licensed are available full-text. Other materials include limited-access searching.
- Google Books
- The Google Books database now includes over 25 million scanned books. In addtion to the full-text of the books in the public domain, for many titles Google allows you to view snippets or selected pages from books still under copyright.
- Internet Archive
- Search the "Texts" files for specific titles or books on particular subjects.
- ACLS Humanities
- "A growing collection of more than 5,100 titles (as of August 2017) across the entire range of the Humanities, including Area Studies, Art, Film & Media Studies, History, Literature, Performance Studies, Philosophy, Religion, and Women Studies. All titles have been chosen by scholars rather than publishers, so while titles from more than one hundred publishers (among them Cambridge UP, Columbia UP, Harvard UP, MIT Press, NYU Press, Oxford UP, Princeton UP, Rutgers UP, Stanford UP, plus other academic, commercial and society presses) are included, it is a selective rather than comprehensive collection. The collection combines classic works and new scholarship. The titles are available for unlimited course reserve or classroom use." Restricted Access
- eBook Collection
- The eBook Collection contains a large selection of multidisciplinary eBook titles representing a broad range of academic subjects, including Behavioral Science, Business, Technology, Science, Literature, and Humanities. Books range in audience level from basic introductory texts to scholarly monographs. Books can be read online, and users may download or print up to 60 pages per session. Creating a MyEBSCOhost account allows one to check out and download full books for up to 7 days. Restricted Access
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies