Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Writing a Syllabus
- Writing a Syllabus
- Howard B. Altman and William E. Cashin. Kansas State University, Center for Faculty Evaluation and Development, Idea Paper No. 27, 1992.
- Welcome to Fairyland: Queer Miami Before 1940.
- Julio Capo Jr. Chapel Hill, University of North Carolina Press, 2017. Available?
- Feminism for the Americas: The Making of an International Human Rights Movement
- Katherine M. Marino. Chapel Hill, University of North Carolina Press, 2019. Available?
- Set the World on Fire: Black Nationalist Women and the Global Struggle for Freedom
- Keisha N. Blain. Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania Press, 2018. Available?
- Reproducing Empire: Race, Sex, Science, and U.S. Imperialism in Puerto Rico
- Laura Briggs. Berkeley, University of California Press, 2002. Available?
- What Soldiers Do: Sex and the American GI in World War II France
- Mary Louise Roberts. Chicago, University of Chicago Press, 2013. Available?
- Mobile Subjects: Transnational Imaginaries of Gender Reassignment
- Aren Z. Aizura. Durham, Duke University Press, 2018. Available?
Encyclopedias and Bibliographies
Scholarly encyclopedias can give you an overview of a topic as well as some basic bibliography.
- Global Encyclopedia of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ) History
- Howard Chiang and Anjali Arondekar, editors. Farmington Hills, Michigan, Charles Scribner's Sons, 2019.
- Award-winning encyclopedia. International in scope, it has entries on LGBTQ history around the world, with particular focus on Asia and Africa. Rutgers-restricted Access
- SAGE Encyclopedia of LGBTQ Studies
- Abbie Goldberg, editor. Thousand Oaks, Calif., SAGE Publications, 2016.
- Substantive scholarly articles on LGBTQ issues in a social sciences framework. Rutgers-restricted Access
- LGBT: Encyclopedia of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender History in America
- New York, Charles Scribner's Sons, 2004. 3 vols.
- More than 500 scholarly entries on LGBT identities, communities, cultures, movements, and issues. Rutgers-restricted Access
- American Masculinities: A Historical Encyclopedia
- Bret E. Carroll, editor. Thousand Oaks, Calif., Sage Publications, 2004.
- "A reference guide and an introduction to the many ways in which men have defined, imagined, and experienced male identity in the social, cultural, and political contexts of the United States.” 258 signed entries with bibliography. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Encyclopedia of Women and Gender : Sex Similarities and Differences and the Impact of Society on Gender
- San Diego, Calif.:Academic, c2001. 2 vols.
- About 100 articles, each contributed by an expert in the social or behavioral sciences, on "the many topics that encompass current research and scholarship on the psychology of women and gender." Articles on such topics as "Abortion and Its Health Effects," "Achievement," "Body Image Concerns," "Career Achievement," "Hate Crimes," "Imprisonment in the United States," "Military Women," "Political Behavior," "Sport and Athletics," and "Work-Family Balance." Each article contains a glossary, cross-references, and a "Suggested Reading" section. Available? Sample Article
- Encyclopedia of Gender and Society
- Jodi O'Brien, editor. Thousand Oaks, California, Sage Publications, 2008.
- Over 450 signed entries with brief bibliographies. Worldwide scope. Rutgers-restricted Access
- The SAGE Encyclopedia of Psychology and Gender
- Kevin Nadal. Thousand Oaks, SAGE Publications, 2017.
- "This encyclopedia looks at issues of gender, identity, and psychological processes at the individual as well as the societal level, exploring topics such as how gender intersects with developmental processes both in infancy and childhood and throughout later life stages; the evolution of feminism and the men's movement; the ways in which gender can affect psychological outcomes and influence behavior; and more." Rutgers-restricted Access
- Sex From Plato to Paglia: A Philosophical Encyclopedia
- Alan Soble. Westport, Conn., Greenwood Press, 2006. 2 vols.
- 153 articles relating to the philosophical ideas that have been developed relating to sex and sexuality. Available?
Bibliographies are great for finding out what has been written/is available on a specific topic.
- Antifeminism in American Thought: An Annotated Bibliography
- Cynthia D. Kinnard. Boston, Mass., G.K. Hall, 1986.
- Books, articles and pamphlets from colonial times to 1920. Excellent extensive annotations organized around eight topics: Women's Rights and Feminism. Woman Suffrage: Anti-Suffrage Periodicals. Domesticity, Femininity and Motherhood. Education of Girls and Women. Women's Intellect and Character. Women's Work, Professional Employment and Creativity. Religion. Women's Bodies. Available?
- Sexual Violence in History: A Bibliography
- Stefan Blaschke
- SexBiblio: Bibliography of the History of Western Sexuality
- Database of some 28,000 titles of primary and secondary literature of the history of sexuality in Europe, the U.S. and Canada from 1700 to 2007/2008. Also includes important titles of the sexual history of Antiquity and the Middle Ages, including non-Western societies.
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies