Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- Lesbian Herstory Archives
"The world's largest collection of materials by and about lesbians and their communities." Includes major photograph and oral history collections. In Park Slope, Brooklyn.
- New York Public Library Gay and Lesbian Collections & AIDS/HIV Collections
- The Manuscripts and Archives Division of the New York Public Library holds over 100 collections pertaining to the history and culture of gay men and lesbians, and to the history of the AIDS/HIV epidemic.
- Digital Transgender Archive
- An online hub for digitized historical materials, born-digital materials, and information on archival holdings throughout the world. Based in Worcester, Massachusetts at the College of the Holy Cross, the DTA is an international collaboration among more than sixty colleges, universities, nonprofit organizations, public libraries, and private collections.
- Search or browse over 7,000 advertisements printed in U.S. and Canadian newspapers and magazines between 1911 and 1955.
Covers five main subject areas: Radio, Television, Transportation, Beauty and Hygiene, and World War II. A project of the Digital Scriptorium,
Rare Book, Manuscript, and Special Collections Library, Duke University.
- Emergence of Advertising in America: 1850-1920
- Over 9,000 images relating to the early history of advertising in
the U.S. From collections in the John W. Hartman Center for Sales,
Marketing History at Duke University. Site also includes an advertising
- AdViewsThousands of television commercials from the 1950s to the 1980s.
- The Advertising ArchivesDatabase of over 100,000 searchable images. You can also browse by category
- Library of Congress: Digital Collections
- The Library of Congress site offers access to more than 9 million digital items from more than 100 historical collections of primary source materials relating to the history and culture of the United States. The collections include manuscripts, photographs, posters, maps, books, pamphlets, and sheet music, as well as sound recordings and motion pictures and can either be browsed or searched.
- Digital Public Library of America
- Over 40 million "images, texts, videos, and sounds from across the United States."
- Hugh digital library from the Bibliotheque Nationale de France.
- Digitized collections from over 2,200 contributing cultural heritage organizations across Europe.
- Gender Issues and Sexuality: Essential Primary Sources
- Reproduction (or excerpts) of primary sources--mostly American or British--relating to gender and sexuality. Includes introduction to the topic as well as a section on the significance of the source.
- Empire Online
- "A fulltext collection of essays and associated primary sources for the study and especially the teaching of the history of empires and empire building in the modern era.... Each section consists of three to five extended essays by a noted historian. Linked within each essay are PDFs of relevant primary documents, approximately 175 per section. The database focuses primarily on the British Empire." You can also search for specific terms, places, people, or events. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Nineteenth Century Collections Online
- A database of primary source collections for the 19th Century. Primarily British and American, but including material from other nations and in other languages. Collections include, among others, Asia and the West, Europe and Africa, Photography: The World Through the Lens, and Women: Transnational Networks. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Feminist Manifestos: A Global Documentary Reader
- Penny A. Weiss and Megan Brueske, editors. New York, New York University Press, 2018.
- A "collection of 150 documents from feminist organizations and gatherings in over 50 countries over the course of three centuries." Available?
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies