Skip to main content
A catalog of library collections from around the world
- If you find the Rutgers online catalog and E-ZBorrow too limiting, consider searching WorldCat for books.
- In addition to E-ZBorrow and interlibrary loan, Rutgers participates in Cooperative Access Arrangements.
Interested in browsing the shelves?
If you are interested in browsing the shelves of the library for books, keep in mind the Library of Congress classification system:
|Section of Library
||Physical & Theoretical Chemistry
Online Reference Works
The ACS Style Guide
The ACS Style Guide is now freely available online, and may be downloaded in PDF format by chapter. This reference explains how to cite properly in ACS style, and includes a list of journal title abbreviations. Print copies are available in the libraries as well.
CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics
An essential reference tool for scientists, this handbook includes constants, properties information for elements and compounds, and more. The most current edition is available online. Search by text.
* NEW: Search by structure and/or property!
e-EROS Encyclopedia of Reagents for Organic Synthesis
This online version of the print title allows for general browsing and searching of the text, as well as searching by chemical structure, substructure, and reaction. e-EROS includes a database of approximately 70,000 reactions and over 4,000 of the most frequently consulted reagents and catalysts.
Encyclopedia of Supramolecular Chemistry
Covers the fundamentals of supramolecular chemistry and includes articles on the latest supramolecular advancements and methods in the areas of chemistry, biochemistry, biology, environmental and materials science and engineering, physics, computer science, and applied mathematics. Browse or search by text.
IUPAC Compendium of Chemical Terminology- the Gold Book
The "Gold Book" contains "terminology definitions from IUPAC recommendations already published in Pure and Applied Chemistry and in the other Colour Books". It is searchable by term and structure using Marvin Sketch structure editor. It is also browsable by alphabetical index, and contains constants, units, and equations for math and physics as well as chemistry. It is freely available online.
IUPAC Nomenclature of Organic Chemistry
The 1979 version of the IUPAC "Blue Book" for organic chemistry. It is freely available online.
The Merck Index
The Merck Index is an encyclopedia of chemicals, drugs, and biologicals that contains more than 10,000 monographs. Each monograph in this authoritative reference source is a concise description of a single substance or a small group of closely related compounds. Search by text, property, or structure. Browse named reactions or tables.
Print Reference Works
Reference books such as encyclopedias are a great place to do some preliminary research. You can get a good overview about your topic, perhaps narrow down your topic if it was too broad before, and most importantly, identify seach terms to use when you begin your search for books and/or articles.
Here are some PRINT reference works:
- A Dictionary of Chemistry (4th ed.)
- Library of Science and Medicine, REF section, Call number: QD5.D4985 2000
- Encyclopedia of Inorganic Chemistry
- Chemistry Library, REF section, Call number: QD148.E53 1994
- Paul Robeson Library, REF section, Call number: QD148.E53 1994
- Encyclopedia of Physical Science and Technology (3rd ed.)
- Library of Science and Medicine, REF section, Call number: Q123.E497 2002
- Paul Robeson Library, REF section, Call number: Q123.E497 2002
- Hawley's Condensed Chemical Dictionary (15th ed.)
- Chemistry Library, REF section, Call number: QD5.C5 2007
- Paul Robeson Library, REF section, Call number: QD5.C5 2007
- Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology (4th ed.)
- Library of Science and Medicine, REF section, Call number: TP9.E685 1991
- John Cotton Dana Library, REF section, Call number: TP9.E685 1991
- Lange's Handbook of Chemistry (14th ed.)
- Library of Science and Medicine, REF section, Call number: QD65.L36 1992
- John Cotton Dana Library, REFDESK, Call number: QD65.L36 1992
- Paul Robeson Library, REF section, Call number: QD65.L36 1992