Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
use historical newspapers to find out how issues and events were
reported during a specific time in history.
Interested in Newark Newspapers?
See the Newspapers page on the Newark Experience site.
African American & Ethnic Press
- Chicago DefenderThe Chicago Defender was the most influential
African-American newspaper of the 20th century. With the majority of its
readership outside the Chicago region, it served as the
de facto national black newspaper in the U.S. Search and display the full text of articles published between 1910 and 1975.Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Ethnic NewsWatch
Full text collection of articles from newspapers, magazines and journals of the ethnic, minority and native press back to 1960. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- ProQuest Historical Newspapers: Combined Search
- Search and display the full image of articles published in six historical newspapers: the Chicago Defender (1910-1975), the New York Times (1851- three years prior to the current year), the Philadelphia Inquirer (November 7, 1860 – December 31, 2001), the Pittsburgh Gazette (August 29, 1786 – December 31, 2003), the Wall Street Journal (1889-1999), and the Washington Post(1877-2000). Rutgers-restricted Access
- The Times Digital Archive (London, England)
- Search and display the full image of articles published between 1785 and 2012. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Google Newspaper Archive
- While the digitization project was shut down a number of years ago the digitized copies are available for limited searching and browsing. Lots of local and regional coverage, some going back to the mid-19th century or earlier.
Contemporary Accounts: U.S. Media
- Access World News
- Access to the full text of over 600 U.S. and over 700 international newspapers. Includes the Newark Star-Ledger back to 1989.Rutgers-restricted Access
- "News" portion indexes the full text of many newspapers. Rutgers-restricted Access
- A vast archive which includes the full-text of 8,000 leading newspapers, magazines, trade journals, newsletters, and television and radio transcripts, including the current New York Times and Wall Street Journal. Ten to twenty year+ backfile for many titles. Rutgers-restricted Access.
Individual New Jersey Newspapers
- The Star-Ledger (Newark)
- 1989 to the present.
- The Times (Trenton)
- 1993 to the present.
- Courier-Post (Camden)
- 2011 to the present; most recent three months not available.
- Selected citations to journal, book and newspaper articles about the city of Camden, New Jersey. The documents cover economic, political, and social events in the city from 1945 to June 2003."
- Independent Voices
- Full text access to alternative press newspapers, magazines, and journals published in the United States in the latter half of the twentieth century, including periodicals produced by radical student organizations; LGBT, African-American, Native American, and Latino activists; feminists, dissident military personnel, and others.
- American History in Video
- Digitized documentaries, newsreel films, and archival footage. Rutgers-restricted Access
- TV-NewsSearch: The Vanderbilt Television News Archive
- Online access to NBC and CNN news broadcasts from August 1968 to the present. In addition, the database provides indexing for nightly news programs broadcast by the other national television networks, ABC and CBS; abstracts of each story within a regular news program are fully searchable. Rutgers-restricted Access
What about newspapers that haven't been digitized?
One option is to check the Newspapers at the Center for Research Libraries. CRL has more than 12,000 U.S. and foreign newspapers (current and restrospective) at their facility in Chicago. Because the Rutgers Libraries are members, CRL will lend copies of newspapers (usually on microfilm) to Rutgers researchers .