In the Rutgers Libraries...
Materials related to housing and urban development can be found at the Alexander Library in New Brunswick, which houses the major social sciences collection, as well as many state and federal government documents in print (many of which are not represented in IRIS). Other relevant materials may be found at the Robeson Library in Camden, and the Dana Library in Newark.
- HomeSight: The Comprehensive Guide to Housing Resources on the Web
- Includes annotations and ratings.
- Links to Other Resources
- Compiled by the National Low Income Housing Coalition, a housing advocacy organization. Includes links to national policy and advocacy organizations.
- HUD USER
- From HUD's Office of Policy Development and Research. "The primary source for Federal Government reports and information on housing policy and programs, building technology...and other housing-related topics." Access to more than 10,000 publications and data sets.
- Documents, reports, data and other resources relating to affordable housing and community development. While the site is no longer updated on a regular basis, there is still a lot of valuable information available here!
Other Reference Resources
- Willem van Vliet, ed. The Encyclopedia of Housing. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 1998.
- Contains brief and more detailed entries on key issues, concepts and research in housing frequently with suggestions for further reading. Appendices list housing organizations, periodicals about housing and major legislation. Available?
- Encyclopedia of Urban Studies
- Ray Hutchison, editor. Thousand Oaks, Calif., Sate Publications, 2010. 2 vol.
- Some 325 entries on issues (crime, housing, gentrification, homelessness, homeownership, etc.), themes, theories, individuals, and cities. Interdisciplinary and international in scope. Entries include useful brief bibliographies.
- Off-Campus Access
- Encyclopedia of Urban America: The Cities and Suburbs. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-Clio, 1998. 2 vols.
- Signed entries with bibliography relating to "specific urban phenomena, people, places, and events." Available?
- Encyclopedia of Urban Cultures: Cities and Cultures Around the World. Edited by Melvin Ember and Carol R. Ember. Danbury, Conn., Grolier, 2002. 4 vols. Available?
- Housing Bibliography
- Extensive searchable bibliography (primarily of articles) relating to housing. Part of the University of Colorado Housing Information Gateway.
- Urban America: A Historical Bibliography. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-Clio, 1983.
- Classified bibliography with abstracts of articles concerned with the development of, and life in, American cities through the 1970s. Available?