Skip to main content
Welcome to Alcohol Studies!
Updated to meet the needs to work, study, and conduct research off campus, this guide aims to help you navigate Alcohol Studies Research at Rutgers. Focusing on electronic resources, you can find articles, books, and popular titles, as well as tips for writing and citing and information regarding the special collections at Rutgers University.
Resources at a Glance
This guide will help you navigate Alcohol Studies Research at various levels.
- You may want to begin your research on the RUL homepage in QuickSearch or by Finding Articles online.
- Databases are the best to conduct a more thorough search or several searches in multiple databases.
- This guide also has various other online resources under the Miscellaneous External Links tab.
- Once you've completed your research, use the tools and resources under the Writing/Citing tab to create your unique bibliography using RefWorks and completing your paper in MLA or APA format.
About the Alcohol Studies Collection
RUL Borrowing Policies
Policies and practices vary by affiliation to Rutgers and current operational status.
RUL How Do I...?
Answers to questions with regards to finding and requesting materials, managing your library account, and more.
Center of Alcohol Studies
The Center of Alcohol Studies (CAS) is a multidisciplinary institute dedicated to addiction research, education, and training.
Formerly located in the Brinkley and Adele Smithers Hall, Busch Campus, Piscataway, New Jersey, the Center of Alcohol Studies Library, the former Information Services Division of the Center of Alcohol Studies, maintained one of the world’s largest and most comprehensive collections of English-language documents pertaining to the biomedical and psychosocial aspects of alcohol use and abuse until December 2016.
The archived pages, with lots of relevant information, are available courtesy of Internet Archive.
Library Operating Status
- Rutgers Libraries are open and operating but access to library buildings is restricted to library staff providing essential services. Public services such as reference and instruction are available online.
Access to Library Resources
Returning Library Materials
- Due dates for all Rutgers-owned materials currently out on loan have been extended to September 30, 2020. Patrons may return borrowed materials at select libraries. Return proceedures vary by location.
- Interlibrary loan is available. Materials can requested via ILLiad and scheduled for library pickup or home delivery. E-Borrow and UBorrow services are currently unavilable.
- Research assistance is available via live chat 10am-10pm and via email.
Alcohol Studies Database (up to 2007)
This site provides access to the Alcohol Studies Database. The database contains over 80,000 citations for journal articles, books, book chapters, dissertations, conference papers, and audio-visual materials. Closed in 2007.
Alcohol History Database (1850-2007)
The Alcohol History Collection grew out of efforts by the library staff at the Center of Alcohol Studies to identify and preserve historical materials from the library's collections. Retired in 2007, the static database is available as pdf.
This LibGuide was developed at the Center of Alcohol Studies Library by librarians Judit H. Ward, James Cox, and Molly Stewart. Contributors to the Readers Advisory on Addictions in Pop Culture also include Kate Scherler and Lauren Antolino. Recents updates were added by William Bejarano, Will Haggis, and Maria Ortiz-Myers.