About this Guide
This guide leads to many online resources with information for the Introduction and Marketing Plan sections of a Business Plan. Developed for a workshop sponsored by the New Jersey Small Business Development Center.
- Industry Analysis:
- Look at government sources of statistics on economic activity in industries and states, and then consider trade associations as information sources. Search the "Business Source Elite" database.
- Competitive Landscape:
- Start with the County Business Patterns, then consider corporate directories, both geographical and industrial. Search the "ReferenceUSA" database.
- Market Analysis:
- Navigate the many sources of statistics from the Census of Population and Housing, and look at demographic maps. Consider aggregator sites online.
- Promotion and Marketing:
- Consider venues for promoting your company, product or service, including newspapers, radio, tradeshows, and online.
- Business Plan Samples:
- Know what actual plans look like. Search the "Small Business Resource Center" database.
- Business Operations:
- Find out about registering or licensing your business in New Jersey, and locate an accountant or lawyer.