Skip to main content
American FactFinder (AFF) is an electronic system which provides Internet access to data about the United States, Puerto Rico and the Island Areas collected by the U.S. Census Bureau. It offers prepackaged data and user-selected data tables and maps from several censuses and surveys including the 2000 and 2010 Censuses of Population and Housing and the American Community Survey.
Amercan FactFinder FAQs
Use the following methods to search for geographies:
Search for Census Tracts
How do I find all the Census Tracts in a Place?
- Select Advanced Search.
- Click the Geographies button located below Topics (left side of page).
- On the top of the window select the Name tab.
- In the text box, type "All Census Tracts within___" (Fill the blank with the name of a County Subdivision or a Place for the blank.) Click "Go".
Search AFF for Census Data for My Assignment
On the Main page of the American FactFinder, click on Advanced Search.
- Click 'Geographies' on the left side of the screen to open the 'Select Geographies' window.
- Use the List tab to search for geographies using a dropdown menu of geographic types.
- Click on the 'select a geographic type' dropdown menu and select 'Census Tract.'
- Select 'New Jersey' in the new 'select a state' dropdown menu.
- Select 'Essex' in the new 'select a county' dropdown menu.
- Select 'Census Tract #' in the 'All Census Tracks Within Essex County, New Jersey' dropdown menu. You can select one or more census tracks.
- Click Add to Your Selections button. Notice your selections are added to Your Selections (upper left).
- CLOSE the Select Geographies window. (Your search results are updated, showing tables and other documents available for the selected Census Tracks)
(Watch video turorial: Searching for Geographies)
Click 'Topics' on the left side of the screen to open the Select Topics to add to 'Your Selections' window.
- Click 'Year', select '2010' and '2000' to add to 'Your Selections' window.
- Click 'People' to select topics of your interest:'
- Basic Count/Estimate: Population Total
- Income & Earnings: Income/Earnings (Households)
- Origins: Ancestry, Foreign Born, Hispanic or Latino, Race or Ethnic Origin
- Click 'Housing' to select topics of your interest: Basic Count/Estimate: Housing Units
Close the Select Topics window. (Your search results are updated, showing tables and other documents available for the selected Census Tracks.)
(More info on Search Using Topics)
View Data Search Results
Download Search Results
- Downloading Overview
- Downloading from the Table Viewer in Advanced Search (in PDF, CSV, select 'data and annotations in a single file')
- Downloading from Search Results in Advanced Search