Skip to main content
"The Rutgers University iJOBS Program, funded by the National Institutes of Health, exposes life science PhD students and postdocs to a range of non-academic career options and empowers them to pursue their career goals."
Upcoming iJOBS events
You MUST pre-register to attend. Location information is provided on the registration pages.
Fall 2019 Rutgers iJOBS events
This is a list of all Fall 2019 Rutgers iJOBS events. for more information and to register, click on the "Upcoming iJOBS events" link (above).
- Rutgers University’s iJOBS Program, (interdisciplinary Job Opportunities for Biomedical Scientists), was established in September of 2014 with a BEST (Broadening Experiences in Scientific Training) Award from the NIH Common Fund to educate life science and engineering PhD students and postdoctoral fellows about jobs options and empower them to pursue their career goals.
- The skills obtained in iJOBS are also valuable to academic careers including leadership styles, managing people, and communication skills.
- iJOBS has expanded to include all campuses of Rutgers as well as all PhD granting institutions in the state: Princeton, NJIT, Rowan and Stevens Institute of Technology.
- Phase 1, which is open to everyone, includes career panels, site visits to partnering companies, case studies, and workshops such as SciPhD covering communication, teamwork, leadership, finance, and project management skills. Many of these skills as well as awareness of the pharmaceutical industry are also critical to academic positions so all trainees benefit regardless of career aspirations. Phase 2 is application-based and allows trainees to shadow a professional in their area of interest as part of a shadowing experience organized by iJOBS. Trainees can also register for a non-science course relevant to that field to expand their skill set. Finally, trainees are assigned a professional mentor to advise them and help them create an Individual Development Plan. Phase 3 facilitates the job application process and Phase 4 allows alumni of iJOBS to contribute back to the program.
- iJOBS aims to provide ‘one-stop shopping” to New Jersey’s biopharma industry for first-time job placement. As such, we have partnered with more than 50 companies to ensure that our trainees are well prepared to contribute immediately within their professional area(s) of interest.
- We have had over 944 participants in iJOBS which represents a 46% participation rate by our trainees. Our survey and outcome data suggest that trainees who have participated have increased confidence and knowledge to apply for jobs.
- Trainees who participate in iJOBS have a significantly faster time to defense and a higher number of publications.