Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Levinson, David, ed. Encyclopedia of World Cultures. 10 vols. Boston: G.K. Hall, 1991-1996.
Each volume is devoted to a geographic area and includes a cultural map for that area. There is an entry for each cultural group including information on location, linguistic affiliation, history and cultural relations, settlements, economy, kinship, marriage and family, sociopolitical organization, religion and expressive culture, as well as a list of publications about both the traditional and current culture. Vol.7: South America; Vol.8: Middle America and the Caribbean Available?
- Encyclopedia of Contemporary Latin American and Caribbean Cultures
- Daniel Balderston, Mike Gonzalez and Ana M. Lpez, editors. New York, Routledge, 2000. 3 volumes. Available
- Afro-Latin America, 1800-2000
- George Reid Andrews. New York, Oxford University Press, 2004.
- Issues faced by Afro-Latin Americans in the 19th and 20th centuries. Includes discussion of Afro-Latin Americans in Argentina, Brazil, Cuba, Costa Rica, Colombia, the Donimican Republic, Haiti, Mexico, Panama, Puerto Rico, and Uruguay.
- Indigenous Peoples, Democracy and Political Participation
- Part of Georgetown University's Political Database of the Americas. Includes sections on Demographic Trends; Constitutional Rights, Legislation, and Agreements; Political Representation of Indigenous Peoples; State Agencies for Indigenous Afffairs; Non-Governmental Organizations dealing with Indigenous Peoples; and Reference Materials.
Business Source Premier, the major database for business literature, includes extensive reports on countries produced by CountryWatch Inc. To find reports enter the name of the country in the first search box and select "Subject" from the pull-down menu. In the next search box, enter "countrywatch."
- Country Studies
- Online versions of the Country Studies/Area Handbooks series published by the Federal Research Division of the Library of Congress. A basic resource for an overview of a particular country. These are updated by Country Profiles.
- Background Notes
- Information on all the countries of the world with which the United States has relations.
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies