Skip to main content
What Makes Something "Scholarly?"
Unlike "popular" journal literature, which is written by journalists who cover events and people of interest to the general public or to the particular group that they represent, scholarly literature is written by people with expertise in a particular subject. These experts usually have academic credentials (advanced degrees in a particular area) and the articles are often published in "peer-reviewed" (reviewed by experts in the field) journals.
- Literature Resource Center
- A full-text database of literary resources including biographical material, essays, articles, and excerpts from larger works. Searchable by author, title, genre, literary movement, and theme. A good place to start your research! Rutgers-restricted Access.
- MLA International Bibliography
- 1926- . The most comprehensive index to journal articles, books, dissertations, and other materials relating to literature, folkore, and film studies. Indexes more than 4400 journals. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Hispanic-American Periodical Index [HAPI]
- 1970- . The major multidisciplinary periodical index for Latin American Studies. Indexes over 400 scholarly journals published in the U.S. and Latin America. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Publicaciones y Revistas Sociales Y Humanisticas. Searchable database of full-text scholarly journals in the social sciences and humanities for the study of Latin America and the Caribbean. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Historical Abstracts
- 1955- . The most comprehensive index to world history (excluding that of the U.S. and Canada) from 1450 to the present. Indexes over 2,000 history and history-related journals worldwide, as well as book reviews and dissertations. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Academic Search Premier
- The basic multidisciplinary index; especially good source for book reviews. Rutgers-restricted Access
, Course Guides (Newark)
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies