Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Primary Source Collections
- RUL Primary Source Databases
- Some 140 databases of digitized primary source materials focusing on a wide array of topics, places, and periods.
Rutgers Special Collections & University Archives
Special Collections and University Archives
Rutgers Special Collections and University Archives collects, preserves, and makes available primary sources of a rare, unique, or specialized nature.
The Sinclair New Jersey Collection of printed materials (approximately 67,000 monographs, pamphlets, periodicals and serials) is the largest, most comprehensive library documenting New Jersey history and culture.
The Institute of Jazz Studies is the largest and most comprehensive library and archive of jazz and jazz-related materials in the world.
- Library of Congress: Digital Collections
- The Library of Congress site offers access to more than 9 million digital items from more than 100 historical collections of primary source materials relating to the history and culture of the United States. The collections include manuscripts, photographs, posters, maps, books, pamphlets, and sheet music, as well as sound recordings and motion pictures and can either be browsed or searched.
- Digital Public Library of America
- Over 40 million "images, texts, videos, and sounds from across the United States."
- Index to archival collection descriptions and finding aids. Rutgers-restricted Access
- C19: The Nineteenth Century Index
- The most comprehensive source for English language material printed in the 19th Century. Includes bibliographic access to 71,000 archival collections.Rutgers-restricted Access
- The Newark Archives Project
- The Newark Archives Project is creating detailed descriptions of primary materials relating to Newark that are available in repositories in Newark and elsewhere. The collections described include papers of individuals and families; records of government agencies, organizations, and businesses; photographs and film; audio collections; and more. A wonderful, and growing, resource for finding archival materials on Newark!
- Union catalog of over 179 million bibliographic records for titles owned by libraries that participate in/contribute to OCLC. As part of "Advanced Search" allows you to limit your search to "archival materials". (Rutgers-restricted Access)
- Princeton University Findings Aids
- Over 1700 finding aids from the Princeton Department of Rare Books and Special Collections. The Department of Rare Books and Special Collections includes the Manuscripts Division (housed at Firestone Library) and the Princeton University Archives and Public Policy Papers (housed at the Seeley G. Mudd Manuscript Library).
- New York Public Library Archives and Manuscripts Catalog
- Search the Archives and Manuscripts collections included in the New York Public Library catalog. To search the full text of archival collections descriptions search AMAT, the Archival Materials Access Tool.
- Archival Finding Aids Hosted at New York University
- Search across finding aids for collections in the Fales Library & Special Collections (NYU); the Tamiment Library and Robert F. Wagner Labor Archives; New York University Archives; and the New York Historical Society.
- Columbia University Archival Collections Portal
- Descriptions and finding aids for more than 3,500 archival collections in six Columbia University Libraries repositories. These collections include personal papers, institutional records, corporate archives, architectural drawings, printed ephemera, and many other types of content.
Subjects: American Studies
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies