Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
This is a selected list of the basic history databases. You can also check out the complete list of Rutgers online indexes and databases.
Full Text Not Attached?
Not all databases have all the articles they cite available in full text. Use the button that's in the database article record to have the system search Rutgers subscriptions for the full-text article.
Article Not Available/Only Available in Print?
If the Rutgers Libraries don't have the article (don't subscribe to
the journal/don't have that issue), or only have a copy in print
format, you can use Interlibrary Loan and Article Delivery Services to request electronic delivery of the article.
To find out how, take a look at this very short video.
Indexes and Databases
- America: History and Life 1964- .
- The most comprehensive index to American (U.S. and Canada) history. Indexes over 2000 journals worldwide, as well as book reviews and dissertations. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Historical Abstracts
- 1955- . The most comprehensive index to world history (excluding that of the U.S. and Canada) from 1450 to the present. Indexes over 2,000 history and history-related journals worldwide, as well as book reviews and dissertations. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- History of Science, Technology, and Medicine
- 1975- . Searchable bibliography of articles, books, proceedings, and
dissertations. Integrates the Isis Current Bibliography of the History
of Science, the Current
Bibliography in the History of Technology (Technology and Culture), the
Bibliografia Italiana di Storia della Scienza and the Wellcome Library
for the History
and Understanding of Medicine. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- International Medieval Bibliography
- 1967-. Index of journal articles, conference papers and collected essays
on all subjects related to the Middle Ages between 400-1500 AD. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Iter: Gateway to the Middle Ages and Renaissance
- The Journals bibliography is a searchable index to the complete runs of over 630 scholarly journals relating to the period 400 to 1700 A.D;
while the Books bibliography includes citations for monographs, material published in monographs, and collected essays. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- JSTOR provides electronic access to back runs, many back to the 19th century or earlier, of more than 2000 important scholarly journals in a variety of disciplines. JSTOR does not include current issues of journals; generally the most recently published issue of any current journal will not appear in JSTOR until 3-5 years after the publishing date. Rutgers current access is to ten of the twelve JSTOR Arts and Sciences collections. Rutgers-restricted access
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies