Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
This is a selected list of databases that you may find useful for finding articles on your topic. You can also check out the
complete list of Rutgers online indexes and databases.
Full Text Not Attached?
Not all databases have all the articles they cite available in full text. Use the button that's in the database article record to have the system search Rutgers subscriptions for the full-text article.
Article Not Available/Only Available in Print?
If the Rutgers Libraries don't have the article (don't subscribe to
the journal/don't have that issue), or only have a copy in print
format, you can use Interlibrary Loan and Article Delivery Services to request electronic delivery of the article.
To find out how, take a look at this very short video.
Indexes and Databases
- America: History and Life 1964- .
- The most comprehensive index to American (U.S. and Canada) history. Indexes over 2000 journals worldwide, as well as book reviews and dissertations. Restricted Access.
African American Studies
- The Kaiser Index to Black Resources, 1948-1986.
- From the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture of the New York Public Library. Brooklyn, NY: Carlson, Pub., Inc. 1992. 5 volumes
- Unique resource based on the collections of the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture. Over 170,000 citations to journal and newspapers articles, books, pamphlets and reports dealing with black history and culture.
- Dana Library Call Number: Ref E185.K25 1992
Art and Architecture
- Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals
- Index to over 2500 architectural periodicals. Covers architecture and design, archaeology, city planning, interior design, landscape architecture, and historic preservation worldwide. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Art Index Retrospective
- Index to art journals from 1929 to 1984. Rutgers-restricted Access
- ARTbibliographies Modern
- Citations and abstracts of journal articles, books, essays, exhibition catalogs, PhD dissertations, and exhibition reviews on all forms of modern and contemporary art (19th century onward). Beyond the traditional art fields, covers performance art and installation works, video art, computer and electronic art, body art, graffiti, artists' books, theatre arts, conservation, crafts, ceramic and glass art, ethnic arts, graphic and museum design, fashion, and calligraphy. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Literature Online (LION)
- In addition to the full text of over 350,000 English-language
literary works, you can select "Criticism and Reference" to search over
300 full-text literature journals as well as citations from the Annual Bibliography of English Language and Literature.Rutgers-restricted Access.
- MLA International Bibliography 1926-
- The premier index to articles, books, and dissertations on literature, language, linguistics, folklore, and film. Restricted Access
- Women's Studies International
- 1972- Women's Studies International is the most comprehensive index to women's studies resources. Incorporates citations from Women Studies Abstracts, Women's Studies Bibliography Database, and the Women's Studies Database, among others. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Contemporary Women's Issues
- Full-text access to global information on women found in journals, research reports, newspapers, pamphlets, and fact sheets. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Communication and Mass Media Complete
- Full-text coverage of more than 280 titles plus citation coverage
for many more. Many major journals searchable back to early 1900s. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Music Index
- 1973- . Index to over 850 music periodicals published in more than 40 countries. Indexes book reviews, obituaries, news periodicals, and news, as well as articles about music, musicians, and the music industry. Rutgers-restricted Access
- RILM: Abstracts of Music Literature
- 1967- . The world's largest, continuously updated bibliography of music literature, providing broad international coverage including records in 140 languages from 3,700 journals. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Sociological Abstracts
- Index to international literature in sociology and related disciplines in the social and behavioral sciences. Abstracts of journal articles, books, book chapters, dissertations, and conference papers. 1952- . Rutgers-restricted Access
- JSTOR provides electronic access to back runs, many back to the 19th century or earlier, of more than 2000 important scholarly journals in a variety of disciplines. JSTOR does not include current issues of journals; generally the most recently published issue of any current journal will not appear in JSTOR until 3-5 years after the publishing date. Rutgers current access is to ten of the twelve JSTOR Arts and Sciences collections. Rutgers-restricted access
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies