Skip to main content
(a) EZ Borrow - Can't Find the book at Rutgers
General Tips for Using the Library Catalog
- Use AND to combine your concepts, e.g., climate change and policy
- Use OR to combine synonyms, related terms, e.g., domestic violence or family violence
- Use the * (asterik) to search for the root word and any ending, e.g., parent* will retrieve parent, parents, parenthood, parenting.
- Look at the subject headings on the full record for an item-these can help you generate new keywords, concepts, etc.
- Try using the Advanced Search to combine keywords and subject headings, author and title, etc.
Specific Search Examples
Keyword searching-use Keyword (from pulldown menu)
- social security and (policy or history)
- homelessness and united states and history
- environmental policy and united states and history
- housing policy united states and history
- mentally ill and care and united states and history
- older people and government policy
- poverty and government policy and united states
Subject heading search-use Subject (from pulldown menu)
- child welfare united states history
- social security united states history
- veterans mental health services united states
- environmental policy united states history
- poverty government policy united states history