Skip to Main Content

Newark Graduate Orientation

Resources in grantsmanship and library research for graduate students



Requesting books unavailable through RUL

Using E-Z Borrow

When the University Libraries doesn’t own a book title you want or when the copy owned by the Libraries is not available to you (checked out or missing), you may request a copy using E-Z Borrow.  This consortium includes forty academic libraries in Pennsylvania.  When you place a request, the item will arrive in less than a week for you to check out.  You may borrow the book for a period of four weeks with a 4 week renewal.  There is a one-minute tutorial with more information about the process.


When E-Z Borrow doesn’t include the book you want

To do a complete search of the holdings in E-Z Borrow, you must search each of the four groups of participating libraries separately.  If the book you want to review has not been listed as available, then you may request the book using interlibrary loan.  Start your request by going to the University Libraries home page and clicking on “Delivery and Interlibrary Loan.”  On the next screen, you’ll notice that the fifth choice, “Use Interlibrary Loan and Article Delivery Services for materials not in the Rutgers University Libraries collections,” is the one you want.  By clicking on the link, you will be ready to sign in to the requesting software.  If the requesting process is new to you, more information is described in a two-minute tutorial, How do I request an article?   Although the tutorial emphasizes requesting articles, the process to request a book is very similar.  In the New Request area of the requesting software, you'll see "ILL Book Request" as the first choice.  The rest of the process as described in the tutorial is the same.


© , Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey

Rutgers is an equal access/equal opportunity institution. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to direct suggestions, comments, or complaints concerning any accessibility issues with Rutgers websites to or complete the Report Accessibility Barrier / Provide Feedback form.