Skip to main content
- Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave
- Benjamin Quarles, editor. Cambridge, Mass., Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 1988.
- Iola Leroy; or, Shadows Uplifted
- Frances E.W. Harper. 2d edition. Philadelphia, Pa., Garrigues Bros., 1893.
- The Autobiography an an Ex-Colored Man
- James Weldon Johnson. 1912
- The Souls of Black Folk: Essays and Sketches
- W. E. Burghardt Du Bois. 3rd Edition. Chicago, A.C. McClurg & Co., 1903.
- African American Women Writers of the 19th Century
- 52 published works by 19th century black women writers; key-word searchable. Part of the Digital Schomburg collection.
- Black Drama: 1850 to the Present
- "The full text of 1,200 plays written from the mid-1800s to the present by 201 playwrights from North America, English-speaking Africa, the Caribbean, and other African diaspora countries." Rutgers-restricted Access
- Black Thought and Culture
- The full text of approximately 100,000 pages of non-fiction writing by leading figures in African American life and culture. Includes books, articles and essays, speeches, interviews, pamphlets and correspondence. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Literature Online (LION)
- The full text of over 350,000 English-language literary works, including literary work in various genres from African Americans. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Rutgers Library Catalog (QuickSearch)
- Search all Rutgers Libraries (except the Law Libraries) for books, videos, media, and other materials.
- Catalog of the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture
- Catalog of the New York Public research library "devoted to collecting, preserving and providing access to resources documenting the experiences of peoples of African descent throughout the world." The Schomburg Center contains over 5,000,000 items. [Note: When beginning a search session, select "Schomburg Center" from the pull-down menu on the right.]
- Encyclopedia of African American Women Writers
- Yolanda Williams Page, Editor. 2 vols. Westport, Conn., Greenwood Press, 2007.
- Entries include a biographical profile, major works, critical reception, and a bibliography of works by and about the author. Available?
- Encyclopedia of African American Writing
- Shari Dorantes Hatch. 2nd edition. Mellerton, Grey House Publishing, 2009.
- Over 700 entries on individual writers, as well as on related topics and movements. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Encyclopedia of the Harlem Renaissance
- Cary D. Wintz and Paul Finkelman, editors. New York, Routledge, 2004. Rutgers-restricted Access
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies