Skip to main content
Latin American Network Information Center (LANIC). LANIC, a project of the University of Texas at Austin, is the premier portal to Latin American internet resources. Sections link to regional resources as well as to individual country sites. Subject pages include:
Political Handbook of the World. Basic resource for finding facts and analysis on each country’s governmental and political makeup. Available? Preview
Political Database of the Americas. Search or browse thematically arranged reference materials, primary documents, comparative studies and statistical data for countries in the Western Hemisphere. From the Georgetown University Center for Latin American Studies.
- CIA World Factbook
- "The World Factbook provides information on the history, people, government, economy, geography, communications, transportation, military, and transnational issues for 267 world entities." A basic resource for country information!
- BBC News: Country Profiles
- "Guide to history, politics and economic background of countries and territories, and background on key institutions. They also include audio and video clips from BBC archives. "
- Guide to Nations
- Law Library of Congress guide to country resources.
- World Health Organization: Country Health Profiles
Business Source Premier, the major database for business literature, includes extensive reports on countries produced by CountryWatch Inc. In addition to historical, political and economic information, includes indices relating to political risk, stability, freedom, human rights, human development, life satisfaction, and gender gap.
To find reports enter the name of the country in the first search box and select "Subject" from the pull-down menu. In the next search box, enter "country review"
UN Member States: On the Record
- U.N. Member States: On the Record
- Selected official documents reflecting the views of UN member countries, including statements made before the principal UN bodies; draft resolutions sponsored; and reports submitted on Human Rights conventions.
- Amnesty International Report: The Americas
- Inter-American Commission on Human Rights
- "The IACHR is a principal and autonomous organ of the Organization of American States (“OAS”) whose mission is to promote and protect human rights in the American hemisphere." IACHR publishes periodic reports on human rights in OAS Member Countries, as well as Thematic Reports.
- Human Rights Reports
- "The annual Country Reports on Human Rights Practices – the Human Rights Reports – cover internationally recognized individual, civil, political, and worker rights, as set forth in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and other international agreements." From the U.S. Department of State.
- Universal Periodic Reviews
- Under the auspices of the U.N. Human Rights Council, the Universal Periodic Review provides the opportunity for each State to declare what actions they have taken to improve the human rights situations in their countries and to fulfil their human rights obligations.
- Trafficking in Persons Reports
- "Places each country onto one of three tiers based on the extent of their governments’ efforts to comply with the “minimum standards for the elimination of trafficking” found in Section 108 of the TVPA."
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies