Skip to main content
This guide focuses on resources that you can use when seeking
information/materials relating to the history of race and power in the
Bibliographies are great for finding out what has been written/is available on a specific topic.
- World Racism and Related Inhumanities: A Country-by-Country Bibliography
- Meyer Weinberg. New York, Greenwood Press, 1992.
- Some 12,000 references to books, book chapters, articles,
dissertations and reports relating to racism and "inhumanities"
(antisemitism, colonialism, sexism, and slavery) in 135 countries from
ancient times to the late 20th century.
- Dana Call Number: REF. HT1521 .W45 1992
Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
Scholarly encyclopedias can give you an overview of a topic as well as some basic bibliography.
- Encyclopedia of Racism in the United States
- Westport, Conn., Greenwood Press, 2005. 3 vols.
- Some 450 scholarly entries dealing with concepts, theories, people, events, legislation, court cases, and specific
racial and ethnic groups. Includes an appendix of primary documents: slave codes, legal documents, speeches, and texts. Sneak Peak
- Dana Call Number: REF E184.A1E773 2005
- Race Relations in America: A Reference Guide with Primary Documents
- Thomas J. Davis. Westport, Conn., Greenwood Press, 2006.
- Dana Call Number: REF E184 .A1D283 2006
- The Color of Words: An Encyclopedia Dictionary of Ethnic Bias in the United States
- Philip H. Herbst. Yarmouth, Me., Intercultural Press, 1997.
- Herbst, an anthropologist, offers definitions, as well as the social and
historical origins, of 850 frequently misunderstood, offensive, or
politically-charged ethnic and racial
terms used in the U.S.
- Dana Call Number: REF E184 .A1H466 1997
Encyclopedia of African American History 1619-1895: From the Colonial Period to the Age of Frederick DouglassNew York, Oxford University Press, 2006. 3 vols.Nearly 700 signed entries with selective bibliographies on people,
events, activities and issues relevant to African American history up to
the late 19th century. List of Entries.Dana Call Number: Ref. E185 .E546 2006
- Encyclopedia of African-American Culture and History
- New York, Macmillan, 1996. 5 vols plus Supplement (2001). Encyclopedia of African-American Culture and History: The Black Experience in the Americas
- 2nd edition. Detroit, Macmillan, 2006. 6 vols.
- Signed entries covering all aspects of African-American history and
life. While the 2d edition expands the scope of the work beyond North
America, it has
only a little more than half of the number of entries found in the first
edition. Many of the U.S.-centered articles (for example, entries on
states and major cities)
are not available in the 2d edition. About half of the articles that
appear in both have been updated in the 2d edition.
Bibliographic references. Together, a good starting point for research.
- Dana Call Number: Ref. E185 .E54 1996.
- Dana Call Number: Ref. E185 .E54 2006. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Asian American Encyclopedia
- Franklin Ny, editor. New York, Marshall Cavendish, 1995. 6 vols.
- Signed entries on topics dealing with various Asian groups in the
U.S. Especially strong on cultural aspects and issues. Bibliographic
references. An outstanding resource.
- Dana Call Number: Ref E184 .O6A827 1995.
- LGBT: Encyclopedia of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender History in America
- New York, Charles Scribner's Sons, 2004. 3 vols.
- More than 500 scholarly entries on LGBT identities, communities, cultures, movements, and issues. Rutgers-restricted Access
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies