Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Select query elements to create maps and view data tables based on Census 2010 and the American Community Survey.
New Jersey Cities
- Urban Fiscal Health: How Do New Jersey Cities Compare to Other American Cities? Gerald Miller, Joseph C. Cornwall Center for Metropolitan Studies, Rutgers University-Newark Campus, Oct 2001.
- Compares public financial data for Newark and Jersey City to
similar central cities: Akron, Baltimore, Buffalo, Cincinnati,
Cleveland, Pittsburg, Rochester, Toledo and Yonkers.
- A Comparative E-Government Analysis of New Jersey's 10 Largest Municipalities. Marc Holzer and James Melitski. Joseph C. Cornwall Center for Metropolitan Studies, Rutgers University-Newark Campus, June 2003.
- Newark in Focus: A Profile from Census 2000. Part 1.
Part 2. Washington, D.C., Brookings Institution Center on Urban and Metropolitan Policy, 2003.A Living Cities: The National Community Development Initiative
databook. Looks at Newark in the context of the 23 cities in the Living
Cities group, as well as within the largest 100 cities in the nation.
- New Jersey County and Municipal Web Sites
State of the Cities
- The American Metropolis at Century's End: Past and Future Influences
- Report of a survey, led by Robert Fishman (Rutgers University-Camden), of urban specialists who were asked to identify the key influences which shaped American cities in the past 50 years, as well as those most likely to shape cities in the future. Sponsored by the Fannie Mae Foundation.
- State of the Cities Data Systems
- Data on 542 central cities and 10,744 metropolitan suburban places. In addition to demographic, employment, and business data, the SOCDS also contains data on high tech jobs in cities, suburbs, and metropolitan areas, as well as house values and rents, and crime rates. "Fast Look" option allows user to view data tables for one or more selected cities. The SOCDS also includes Comprehensive Housing Affordability Strategy (CHAS) data showing housing problems and the availability of affordable housing for states, counties, and places, as well as Urban Finance data (public expenditures, revenues, and employees) for cities and metropolitan areas.
- State of the Cities 2000
- Report from the Department of Housing and Urban Development on the social and economic vitality of America's cities. The last of the printed reports; subsequent information found in the database above.
- Living Cities: The National Community Development Initiative Databooks.
- Demographic and economic data and analysis pertaining to population, race and ethnicity, immigration, age, households and families, education, work, commuting, income and poverty, and housing for the 23 cities in the "Living Cities" group. Looks at each city in the context of the group as well as within the largest 100 cities in the nation.
- Urban Institute Research of Record: Cities and Neighborhoods
- Includes large collection of publications (reports, working papers, press releases, presentations, etc.)--many available in full-text--relating to U.S. cities and neighborhoods. Includes subsets on: "Arts and Culture;" "Economic Development;" "Federal Urban Policies;" "Mobility and Transportation;" "Neighborhood Indicators;" "Neighborhoods and Community Building;" and the "Washington D.C. Region."
- Two Steps Back: City and Suburban Poverty Trends 1999-2005
- Alan Berube and Elizabeth Kneebone. Brookings Institution Living Cities Census Series, December 2006.
- "An analysis of poverty in cities and suburbs of the nation's 100 largest metropolitan areas."
Subjects: American Studies
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies