Skip to main content
Encyclopedia of Politics & Religion
Encyclopedia of Politics and Religion. Robert Wurthnow, editor. 2nd edition. Washington, D.C., CQ Press, 2007. 2 vols.
"Approximately 300 signed articles that trace the historical roots of the relations between politics and religion in the modern world and consider how these two elemental institutions of society have combined to shape public discourse, affect social attitudes, spark and sustain collective action, and influence policy, especially over the past two centuries." Preview Available?
The History of Ideas
- Dictionary of the History of Ideas: Studies of Selected Pivotal Ideas
- Philip P. Wiener. New York, Scribner, 1973-1974. 5 volumes.
- A basic resource for tracing the development of major concepts (e.g., Class; Democracy; The State) in history. Lengthy, signed scholarly essays with bibliography.
- New Dictionary of the History of Ideas
- Maryanne Cline Horowith. New York, Charles Scribner's Sons, 2005. 6 volumes.
- Over 700 signed articles with up to date bibliographies. While the Dictionary of the History of Ideas was decidedly Eurocentric in its approach, articles in the NDHI are written from a global, multicultural perspective. Emphasize is on developments in scholarship since 1970. Includes entries with bibliographies on topics such as Christianity, Heresy and Apostasy, Judaism, Liberalism, Orthodoxy, Religion, Religion and State, and Toleration.
- Encyclopaedia Judaica
- New York, Macmillan, 2007. 22 volumes.
- Over 21,000 signed articles, most with bibliographies, on all aspects of Judaism, Jewish life and history. Rutgers-restricted Access
- New Catholic Encyclopedia
- 2nd edition. New York, Thomson Gale, 2002-2003.
- About 12,000 signed articles with bibliographies; useful for biographical and hagiological information, as well as articles relating to the history of theological and doctrinal issues. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Encyclopedia of Buddhism
- 2004. 2 volumes.
- "This encyclopedia describes the Buddhist world view, basic teachings and practices of Buddhism, as well as...the history of Buddhism, the different forms it has taken in different parts of the world, and how Buddhism has blended with other religions." Rutgers-restricted Access
- Encyclopaedia of Islam
- New Edition, Leiden, E.J. Brill, 1986. 13 volumes.
- "Covers Muslims of every age and land, tribes and dynasties, crafts and sciences, political and religious institutions, and the geography, ethnography, history, topography, and monuments of major towns and cities, encompassing the Arabo-Islamic empire, the Islamic countries of Iran, Central Asia, Indian and Indonesia, the Ottoman Empire, and all other Islamic countries." Rutgers-restricted Access
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies