Rutgers Future Scholars met for one week during the summer. Current trends in big data and analytics were discussed. Interns were introduced to importing, analyzing, and graphing data in the R statistical software environment, using real and current data sources from the Education Department and the US Census.
• How much data does Google store: article and xkcd
• Video Tour of Data Centers: Google
• NYC Taxis and Uber: R analysis
• Google ngrams
• Visualizing Data: London Riots
• Big Data in Humanities: Urban Heartbeat
• Astronomy: GalaxyZoo
R software: http://r-project.org
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, an equal access/equal opportunity institution. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to direct suggestions, comments, or complaints concerning any accessibility issues with Rutgers web sites to: email@example.com or complete the Report Accessibility Barrier / Provide Feedback Form.