Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
African American & Ethnic Press
- Chicago DefenderThe Chicago Defender was the most influential
African-American newspaper of the 20th century. With the majority of its
readership outside the Chicago region, it served as the
de facto national black newspaper in the U.S. Search and display the full text of articles published between 1910 and 1975.Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Ethnic NewsWatch
Full text collection of articles from newspapers, magazines and journals of the ethnic, minority and native press back to 1960. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- ProQuest Historical Newspapers: Combined Search
- Search and display the full image of articles published in six historical newspapers: the Chicago Defender (1910-1975), the New York Times (1851- three years prior to the current year), the Philadelphia Inquirer (November 7, 1860 – December 31, 2001), the Pittsburgh Gazette (August 29, 1786 – December 31, 2003), the Wall Street Journal (1889-1999), and the Washington Post(1877-2000). Rutgers-restricted Access
- Nineteenth Century U.S. Newspapers
- Full-text database of 500 newspapers published between 1800 and 1900. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- America's Historical Newspapers: Early American Newspapers, 1741-1922
- Full text access to 1,500 newspapers published between 1741 and 1922. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Chronicling America: Search the Newspaper Pages
- An ongoing project of the Library of Congress to digitize America's historical newspapers. Coverage ranges from 1789 to 1963 but varies for each newspaper.
Contemporary Accounts: U.S. Media
- Access World News
- Access to the full text of over 600 U.S. and over 700 international newspapers. Includes the Newark Star-Ledger back to 1989.Rutgers-restricted Access
- "News" portion indexes the full text of many newspapers including The New York Times, Boston Globe, and the Atlanta Journal and Constitution. Rutgers-restricted Access
- A vast archive which includes the full-text of 8,000 leading newspapers, magazines, trade journals, newsletters, and television and radio transcripts. Ten to twenty year+ backfile for many titles. Includes the most recent years of the New York Times. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Independent Voices
- Full text access to alternative press newspapers, magazines, and journals published in the United States in the latter half of the twentieth century, including periodicals produced by radical student organizations; LGBT, African-American, Native American, and Latino activists; feminists, dissident military personnel, and others.
- American History in Video
- Digitized documentaries, newsreel films, and archival footage. Rutgers-restricted Access
- TV-NewsSearch: The Vanderbilt Television News Archive
- Online access to NBC and CNN news broadcasts from August 1968 to the present. In addition, the database provides indexing for nightly news programs broadcast by the other national television networks, ABC and CBS; abstracts of each story within a regular news program are fully searchable. Rutgers-restricted Access
- All kinds of videos get posted here!
What about newspapers that haven't been digitized?
One option is to check the Newspapers at the Center for Research Libraries. CRL has more than 12,000 U.S. and foreign newspapers (current and restrospective) at their facility in Chicago. Because the Rutgers Libraries are members, CRL will lend copies of newspapers (usually on microfilm) to Rutgers researchers .