There are several ways to seek help from a librarian:
When attempting to access Rutgers-restricted sources off-campus, you will be prompted to LOGIN with your NetID and password.
To search for articles on your topic, start with one of the Rutgers University Libraries subscription databases. Depending on your topic, there may be a number of helpful online resources. This guide identifies a few suggested ones (out of the hundreds of possible online resources available) from which you might be able to find relevant articles.
Please see the boxes below for several databases in which you may search for literary criticism, as well as for topics related to English literature.
Literature Resource Center (LRC) is a full-text database covering more than 124,000 authors. In addition to critical analysis of authors and their works, biographies and bibliographies are also included.
(Advanced) Search Tips:
1) Consider searching by "Name of Work":
· War Dances
2) Consider searching by "Person - By or About":
· Sherman Alexie
3) Note that you can also combine different terms using the Advanced Search option, such as:
· War Dances (Name of Work) AND Sherman Alexie (Person-By or About)
Literature Online (LION) allows full-text searching of 350 literature journals, as well as other criticism and reference resources.
Under "Criticism," search "All Criticism:"
· Title keywords: War Dances
· Author/reviewer: Alexie, Sherman
· Subject heading: Alexie, Sherman
MLA International Bibliography includes 2 million citations drawn from 4,400 journals and series and 1,000 book publishers. It covers criticism and scholarship on literature from around the world.
1. Consider searching Academic Search Premier at the same time!
· Choose Databases
2. Depending on your topic, you may find searching by the following to be helpful:
· "War Dances"
· Alexie AND "War Dances"
· TX: Sherman Alexie AND TX: (humor or satire)
· TX: Sherman Alexie AND TX: interview
· SU: "Native American" AND SU: family
· SU: "Alexie, Sherman" AND TX: heritage
· TX: Sherman Alexie AND TX: Kafka
· TX: Sherman Alexie AND TX: baggage
· TX: Sherman Alexie AND TX: (definition or terms)
This guide is copyright-protected, but you are welcome to reuse it as per the license below (click for more details):
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, an equal access/equal opportunity institution. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to direct suggestions, comments, or complaints concerning any accessibility issues with Rutgers web sites to: firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the Report Accessibility Barrier / Provide Feedback Form.