Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
All databases: Rutgers-restricted access unless otherwise stated
I. Management, Regulation, and Public Policy
- EconLit (Economics) -- includes economists' views and studies of many social issues, including health care, poverty, and homelessness
- ProQuest Social Science Premium Collection --Interdisciplinary search of numerous databases such as PAIS, Worldwide Political Science Abstracts, Social Services Abstracts, ProQuest Criminal Justice, and others. You can place exact phrases in quotation marks, such as "public management" or "civic engagement". A video about searching ProQuest Social Science Premium Collection from the University of Newcastle (UK) can be found here.
- Business Source Premier (Business and Management) -- full text for many scholarly journals in economics, public administration, and nonprofit management
- PAIS - formerly Public Affairs Information Service -- the premier public affairs index, originally based upon the collections of the New York Public Library. PAIS Archive goes back to 1915. Also included in ProQuest Social Science.
- ProQuest Political Science -- Generally 1995-present. Also included in ProQuest Social Science.
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts -- 1975-present. Also included in ProQuest Social Science.
- ERIC -- links to periodical articles purchased by Rutgers; includes educational administration
- ERIC (Free online) -- Source for many full-text ED reports
- ProQuest Education Journals -- Another selection of journals in education, many in full text
- CINAHL (Nursing)
- HealthSTAR (Health Services, Technology, Administration, and Research) -- For healthcare administrators. OVID HealthSTAR is a commercial continuation of the National Library of Medicine’s (NLM) now-defunct HealthSTAR database using updated material from MEDLINE. [NLM HealthSTAR data has been folded into the main MEDLINE database (PubMed) since 1999-2000].
- Medline (Medicine) - OVID version of the database.
- PsycINFO - Psychological Abstracts
- PubMed (Rutgers version) - MEDLINE version from the National Library of Medicine (NLM). Use the Rutgers version for Rutgers links to full text articles.
- Sociological Abstracts -- 1963-present; good for social aspects of healthcare
V. Law and Criminal Justice
- Criminal Justice Abstracts -- Major index for criminal justice literature. Accession number in the records allows you to find information in the Don M. Gottfredson Library of Criminal Justice inside the Law Library.
- HeinOnline -- Source of law reviews as well as case law, treatises, and special collections in law
- Homeland Security Digital Library (Free online) -- from the Center for Homeland Defense and Security at the Naval Postgraduate School. Scholarly sources, many full image
- National Criminal Justice Reference Service Abstracts (NCJRS) (Free online) -- From the U.S. Department of Justice
- Westlaw -- Covers thousands of publications including law reviews and international news sources as well as case law
VI. Social Sciences and Social Problems
- CIAO (International Affairs) -- Columbia International Affairs Online -- a collection of reports, conferences, journals and other publications from think tanks and international associations plus selected books on international affairs
- CQ Researcher -- weekly reports on "hot topics" from Congressional Quarterly, Inc. This is not scholarly publishing, but informative nevertheless.
- PolicyMap -- Online data and mapping application; includes data on real estate
- ProQuest Social Sciences Premium Collection -- A database of databases in the social sciences. Includes contents of PAIS, Worldwide Political Science Abstracts, Social Services Abstracts, ProQuest Criminal Justice, and others.
- PsycINFO - Psychological Abstracts online
- Social Explorer - Interactive data mapping; includes data on religion and historical census data
- Sociological Abstracts -- 1963-present
- Statista -- "Statista gathers data from over 18,000 sources, including market reports, trade publications, scientific journals, and government databases."--from the library introduction page
- Data-Planet -- Extensive datasets from "US Federal, US State, International, and Nonprofit organizational sources." -- from the library introduction page
- data.census.gov -- Main search engine for census data
- data.gov -- Source of federal open data
IX. A Little of Everything
- Google Scholar (Rutgers version) -- Use this one to find Rutgers linked full text
- Academic Search Premier -- Covers many different subjects; indexes both scholarly and non-scholarly items
- America: History & Life -- History of the US and Canada, all years. Includes many aspects of American history, such as political science, the arts, and social movements
- QuickSearch -- A Rutgers multi-database search featuring Rutgers holdings. Go to http://libraries.rutgers.edu or use ADVANCED SEARCH to get started. Sign in with your Net ID and password for best results. Once signed in to QuickSearch, you many also use BROWSE to find books by title or ISBN.