Welcome to NVivo page! NVivo is a powerful software that supports qualitative and mixed methods research. This page provides information on the installation of NVivo, understanding NVivo editions, the key terms of NVivo, NVivo workshop information, as well as some useful resources for NVivo users. If you have any questions, please feel free to visit me during the office hours or email me for an appointment: firstname.lastname@example.org - Cathy
Rutgers has NVivo 12 available for both Mac and Windows here. All faculty, staff, and students can use the program, and you need to log in with your Rutgers NetID. For those who prefer to use NVivo 11, you would have to purchase the license key.
Sources are your research materials, such as documents, PDFs and charts.
Coding is the process of collecting material by theme, case or topic.
Nodes are containers for your coding that represent themes, topics or other concepts.
Cases are containers for your coding that represent your "units of observation".
Case Classifications allow you to record information about cases.
There are three editions of NVivo software: NVivo Starter, NVivo Pro, and NVivo Plus. Each edition features a different level of functionality to support a range of research needs.
NVivo Starter has all the functionality you need to work with text-based material such as documents and PDFs. This version is best for new users and those only working with text.
NVivo Pro and Plus can analyze all data types, including charts, diagrams and maps, and also support working as a team. For analyzing social media content, you can only use NVivo Plus.
I plan to conduct two workshops in the 2018 fall semester. The first workshop is "Introduction to NVivo" which focuses on introducing key mechanisms of the software that may be applied as required by different analytical approaches.The second is "Advanced Workshop on NVivo". More details will be coming..
Here are some useful resources for using NVivo software:
1) Explore NVivo 11 Starter for Windows, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXCsA175Ga0&list=PLNjHMRgHS4Fcx3NfpKsaqXuGdcxI9y-Qa
2) Explore NVivo 11 Pro for Windows, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Z8izUiQjA&index=2&list=PLNjHMRgHS4Fcx3NfpKsaqXuGdcxI9y-Qa
3) Explore NVivo 11 Plus for Windows, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiIqz-E7DX8&index=3&list=PLNjHMRgHS4Fcx3NfpKsaqXuGdcxI9y-Qa
4) Explore NVivo 12 Pro for Windows, https://www.qsrinternational.com/nvivo/nvivo-products/nvivo-12-pro
5) Explore NVivo 12 Plus for Windows, https://www.qsrinternational.com/nvivo/nvivo-products/nvivo-12-plus
6) Explore NVivo 12 Teams for Windows, https://www.qsrinternational.com/nvivo/nvivo-products/nvivo-for-teams
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, an equal access/equal opportunity institution. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to direct suggestions, comments, or complaints concerning any accessibility issues with Rutgers web sites to: email@example.com or complete the Report Accessibility Barrier / Provide Feedback Form.