Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
use historical newspapers to find out how issues and events were
reported during a specific time in history.
International News Archives
International Newspaper Archives
There are some online publicly available international newspaper collections as well.
European Newspaper Archives Links to (mostly) free European newspaper archives. Includes British, Irish, Welsh, German, French, Dutch, and other collections. From Xooxle Answers.
International News: Historical Archives. Newspaper collections from Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the rest of the world excluding Europe and the U.S.
The Center for Research Libraries
Newspapers at the Center for Research Libraries. Database of more than 12,000 titles of U.S. and foreign newspapers (current and restrospective) held by the Center for Research Libraries (CRL) in Chicago. Because the Rutgers Libraries are members, CRL will lend copies of newspapers (usually on microfilm) to Rutgers researchers .
The Press Then and Now
- ProQuest Historical Newspapers: Combined Search
- Search and display the full image of articles published in six historical newspapers: the Chicago Defender (1910-1975), the New York Times (1851- three years prior to the current year), the Philadelphia Inquirer (November 7, 1860 – December 31, 2001), the Pittsburgh Gazette (August 29, 1786 – December 31, 2003), the Wall Street Journal (1889-1999), and the Washington Post(1877-2000). Rutgers-restricted Access
- The Times Digital Archive (London, England)
- Search and display the full image of articles published between 1785 and 2012. Rutgers-restricted Access
- African Newspapers
- More than 40 fully searchable African newspapers published between 1800 and 1922. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Historic Mexican & Mexican American Press
- Search or browse Mexican and Mexican American publications, primarily daily and weekly newspapers, published in Tucson, El Paso, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Sonora, Mexico from the mid-1800s to the present. A project of the University of Arizona.
- Latin American Newspapers
- This collection contains scanned images of historical newspapers from North, Central and South America, and the Caribbean from the 19th and early 20th centuries. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Australian Newspapers: 1803-1954
- More than forty titles hosted by the Australian National Library. Articles are searchable by keyword, date, and selected categories.
- Historical Jewish Press
- Search 35 Jewish newspapers published in the 19th and 20th centuries in various countries. Most newspapers in Hebrew, although other languages are included. Includes the Palestine Post, 1932 to 1950.
More Recent Coverage
- Access World News
- Access to the full text of over 600 U.S. and over 700 international newspapers. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Westlaw Campus Research
- "News" portion indexes the full text of many newspapers.Rutgers-restricted Access
- A vast archive which includes the full-text of 8,000 leading newspapers(including the New York Times), magazines, trade journals, newsletters, and television and radio transcripts. Ten to twenty year+ backfile for many titles. Rutgers-restricted Access.
Subjects: American Studies
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies