Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
use historical newspapers to find out how issues and events were
reported during a specific time in history.
News From the Hill
- CQ Weekly
- "Reports on issues looming on the congressional horizon, plus a complete wrap up the previous week's news, including the status of bills in play, behind-the-scenes maneuvering, committee and floor activity, debates and all roll-call votes." Rutgers-restricted Access
The Press Then and Now
- Historical New York Times
- Allows you to search and display the full image of articles published in the New York Times back to 1851. The two+ most recent years are not included, use Access World News.Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Historical Washington Post
- Search and display the full image of articles published in the Washington Post between 1877 and 1999. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Historical Wall Street Journal
- Search and display the full image of articles published in the Wall Street Journal between 1889 and 1999. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Proquest Historical Newspapers Combined Search
- Simultaneously search the historical New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, and Chicago Defender. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Nineteenth Century U.S. Newspapers
- Full-text database of 500 newspapers published between 1800 and 1900. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Brooklyn Daily Eagle Online
- Search or browse the Brooklyn Daily Eagle from 1841 to 1902. The Daily Eagle was published as a daily newspaper for 114 years; among the editors of the Eagle were Walt Whitman, Thomas Kinsella, St. Clair McKelway, Cleveland Rodgers, and Frank D. Schroth. A project of Brooklyn Public Library.
- Chronicling America: Search the Newspaper Pages
- An ongoing project of the Library of Congress to digitize America's historical newspapers, 1789-1922
Contemporary Accounts: U.S. Media
- Access World News
- Access to the full text of over 600 U.S. and over 700 international newspapers. Includes the Newark Star-Ledger back to 1989.Rutgers-restricted Access
- Westlaw Campus Research
- "News" portion indexes the full text of many major newspapers, including the Washington Post. Rutgers-restricted Access
- A vast archive which includes the full-text of 8,000 leading newspapers, magazines, trade journals, newsletters, and television and radio transcripts. Ten to twenty year+ backfile for many titles. Includes the current New York Times and Wall Street Journal. Rutgers-restricted Access.
Contemporary Accounts: Non-U.S. Media
- Al Jazeera English
- The highly respected English-language news and current affairs channel based in Qatar.
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies