Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- War and Media FilmographyExtensive annotated filmography from American University.
- The Encyclopedia of War Movies: The Authoritative Guide to Movies About Wars of the Twentieth Century.
Robert Ralsey Davenport. New York, Fact on File, 2004. Available?
Finding Early Film Reviews
- Film Review Index. 2 volsPatricia King Hanson & Stephen L. Hanson, editors. Phoenix, Ariz., Oryx Press, 1986-
One of the best sources for finding early film reviews, the Film Review Index cites reviews to over 7000 feature films released between 1914 and 1985. Vol. 1: 1882-1949; Vol. 2: 1950-1985. In addition to popular magazines, the index also lists reviews in trade publications, newspapers, anthologies, and selected books.
Dana Call Number: Ref. PN1995 .F513 1986
- Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature Retrospective. 1900- .Index to the major general interest and popular periodicals from the late 19th century to 1982. An excellent source for finding film reviews.
Radio, Television, and Film
- C-Span Video Library
- Digital version of every C-Span program aired since 1987. Programs are indexed by subject, speaker names, titles, affiliations, sponsors, committees, categories, formats, policy groups, keywords, and location. The congressional sessions and committee hearings are indexed by person.
- TV-NewsSearch: The Vanderbilt Television News Archive
- Index to material in the collection of the Vanderbilt Television News Archive. The database includes nightly news programs broadcast by the national television networks (ABC, CBS, and NBC) and a daily news program from CNN. Abstracts of each story within a regular news program are fully searchable. Programs include:
- ABC Evening News: August 5, 1968 - Present
- CBS Evening News: August 5, 1968 - Present
- NBC Evening News: August 5, 1968 - Present
- ABC Nightline: September 12, 1988 - Present
For a fee, the Archive will make copies and lend individuals DVDs of specific broadcasts. You can place an Interlibrary Loan Request for a program. However the Rutgers Libraries will only pay for the first $20 of the fee; the requestor would be responsible for the remaining amount. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Paley Center for Media Database
- The Paley Center (New York City) houses a media collection of nearly 150,000 television and radio programs and advertisements. The database includes synopsis of programs. The Edward John Noble Scholars Room has carrels equipped with an audio/visual monitor for viewing and listening to the Paley Center's collection of programs and computers that access the library's database. Use of the Scholars Room is available to students and others affiliated with educational organizations at a rate of $15 per day; The Scholar's Room is open: Wednesdays to Sundays 12:00 to 6:00 pm, and 12:00 to 8:00 pm on Thursdays.
- American History in Video
- Digitized documentaries, newsreel films, and archival footage. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Approximately 700,000 images with citations in the areas of art, architecture, the humanities, and social sciences. Rutgers-restricted Access
- New York Public Library Digital Gallery
- Over 685,000 images digitized from NYPL collections.
Life magazine was a major avenue for photojournalism in the 20th century.