Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
American History in Video
Digitized documentaries, newsreel films, and archival footage. Rutgers-restricted Access
Television News of the Civil Rights Era 1950-1970
"Films from the nightly news from two local television stations in Virginia--WDBJ (CBS) Roanoke and WSLS (NBC) Roanoke...Includes full speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr., John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, the governors of the Commonwealth of Virginia, as well as original footage of school desegregation, public meetings, local debates over civil rights matters, and interviews with citizens."
- Ethnic NewsWatch
- Full text collection of articles from newspapers, magazines and journals of the ethnic, minority and native press from 1960 to the present. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Access World News
- Access to the full text of over 600 U.S. and over 700 international newspapers. Includes access to the Newark Star-Ledger back to 1989. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Full text of many of the world's important newspapers, including the current New York Times.
- African-American Newspapers Rutgers-restricted Access
- Full-text database of historical newspapers published by and for African-Americans. Includes:
- Christian Recorder (Philadelphia: 1861-1902 [excluding 1892])
- Colored American (New York: 1837-1841)
- Douglass' Monthly (Rochester, NY: 1859-1863)
- Frederick Douglass' Paper (Rochester, NY: 1851-1855; continues The North Star)
- Freedom's Journal (New York: 1827-1829)
- National Era (Washington, D.C.: 1847-1860)
- North Star (Rochester, NY: 1847-1851)
- Provincial Freeman (Chatham, Ontario): 1854-1857)
- Weekly Advocate (New York: 1837)
- Chicago Defender
- The Chicago Defender was the most influential African-American newspaper of the 20th century. With the majority of its readership outside the Chicago region, it served as the de facto national black newspaper in the U.S. Search and display the full text of articles published between 1910 and 1975. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Historical New York Times
- Allows you to search and display the full image of articles published in the New York Times back to 1851. The two+ most recent years are not included, use Factiva. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Historical Washington Post
- Search and display the full image of articles published in the Washington Post between 1877 and 1993. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Historical Wall Street Journal
- Search and display the full image of articles published in the Wall Street Journal between 1889 and 1995. Rutgers-restricted Access
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies