Skip to main content
(a) Is the article scholarly?
Database Search Tips
- OR broadens the search; use it to combine synonyms or related terms: vaccinations or immunizations
- AND narrows the search; use it to combine your concepts: vaccinations and decision-making
- The * asterik directs the database search engine to search for the root word and any ending, e.g., vaccin*, vaccines, vaccination, vaccinations, etc. .
- Searching for an exact phrase-use "" quotation marks, e.g., "health care reform"
- Look at the subject headings on the full record for an on-target item-these can help you generate new keywords, concepts, etc.
- Finding too many articles on a topic? Try searching for your keywords in the Title field of the item record.
- Found an excellent article on your research question? Make sure you check the references to find more relevant articles...citation chaining!
A citation and abstract database of peer-reviewed literature in the areas of science, technology, medicine, social sciences, arts, and humanities.
Web of Science
Indexes major journals in the sciences, social sciences and humanities.
Searches peer-reviewed papers, dissertations, books, preprints, reports from academic publishers, professional societies, universities and other scholarly organizations.
Subject Specific Databases
CINAHL provides comprehensive coverage of the nursing and allied health journal literature
Produced by the National Library of Medicine it contains citations to the published literature on health services, technology, administration, and research. It focuses on both the clinical and non-clinical aspects of health care delivery.
Produced by the U.S. National Library of Medicine, the MEDLINE database is widely recognized as the premier source for bibliographic and abstract coverage of biomedical literature.
This is the public, open access version of Medline.
PAIS International provides coverage of public affairs, public and social policies, and international relations
PsycINFO provides abstracts and citations to the scholarly literature in the behavioral sciences and mental health. The database includes material of relevance to psychologists and professionals in related fields such as psychiatry, management, business, education, social science, neuroscience, law, medicine, and social work
Social Sciences Librarian