Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- Probably the biggest; most people's favorite.
- The old #2, they're now powered by Bing.
- Previously known as 'Ask Jeeves', Ask.com uses archived data to answer sentence structured queries.
- The French connection. Results tend to be very different from the others.
- The most widely used Search Engine in China.
- Popular in Russia and other East European Countries, it has it's own unique features.
Searching for Scholarly Articles and Research
- Google Scholar
- Google Scholar searches across a wide range of scholarly literature, including articles, books, theses, conference papers, legal cases, and technical reports. Sources include academic publishers, professional societies, university repositories, and other scholarly websites.
- Microsoft Academic Search
- A semantic search engine for scholarly articles, reports, and conference papers.
- Rutgers Alumni Databases
- Library Guide to an extensive collection of open access online research databases and other useful sources of information on the internet.
- Service provided by the New Jersey State Library, JerseyClicks is a collection of online research databases made available to residents of New Jersey.
- Rutgers Databases
- An online listing of the 300+ online databases and indexes available through the Rutgers University Library system. Majority of these databases and indexes are restricted access to students and other members of the Rutgers Community, the rest are open access.
- Wolfram Alpha
- Wolfram Alpha is a computational knowledge search engine, designed to return facts and data instead of websites and webpages.
- Formerly a free online search engine for investigation and for locating information about people, as of 2019 this is now a paid service. Paid services offer more detailed information than would normally be found through a free online search engine.
- A free online people and public information search engine. Information may be limited to only that which is already freely available on the internet.
Searching Government Information
- State & Local Government on the Net
- An Internet directory and search engine to the websites of thousands of state agencies and city and county governments.
- Official guide to government information and services.
- A service of Internet Archive, FedFlix provides access to a large collection of movies and media of the United States Government.
Privacy and Searching the Deep Web
- Smaller than the others, but great if you value your privacy--they don't track their users.
- Search Encrypt
- "Search Encrypt is a private search engine that uses local encryption to ensure your searches remain private."
- Start Page
- A search engine that doesn't keep track of your IP address. It keeps your search history private.