Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
University of California at Berkeley Bibliographies on Films and TV Extensive bibliographies, many with annotations, on a variety of topics including censorship, the 1950s, movies and the technological world, reality TV, sex in the movies, and situation comedies; film and TV genres; film and race, ethnicity, and gender; national cinemas; individual film makers and actors; and individual films and TV shows.
Newspapers, Television, Radio and Film
- Communities of Journalism : A History of American Newspapers and Their Readers
- David Paul Nord. Urbana : University of Illinois Press, 2001. Available?
- Lost Illusions: American Cinema in the Shadow of Watergate and Vietnam, 1970-1979
- David A. Cook. Berkeley, University of California Press, 2002. Available?
- Communication & Mass Media Complete
- Primary database for communications literature. Full-text coverage for more than 280 titles plus indexing to many more. Coverage varies by title, but ranges from the early 1900s to the present. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Film and Television Literature Index with Full Text
- Indexes industry papers, news journalism, and scholarly academic journals on topics relating to film and television. Rutgers-restricted Access
- TV-NewsSearch: The Vanderbilt Television News Archive
- Index to material in the collection of the Vanderbilt Television News Archive. The database includes nightly news programs broadcast by the national television networks (ABC, CBS, and NBC) and a daily news program from CNN. Abstracts of each story within a regular news program are fully searchable. Programs include:
- ABC Evening News: August 5, 1968 - Present
- CBS Evening News: August 5, 1968 - Present
- NBC Evening News: August 5, 1968 - Present
For a fee, the Archive will make copies and lend individuals DVDs of specific broadcasts. You can place an Interlibrary Loan Request for a program. However the Rutgers Libraries will only pay for the first $20 of the fee; the requester would be responsible for the remaining amount. Clips from some broadcasts are also available freely on the site. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Paley Center for Media Database
- The Paley Center (New York City) houses a media collection of nearly 150,000 television and radio programs and advertisements. The database includes synopsis of programs. The Edward John Noble Scholars Room has carrels equipped with an audio/visual monitor for viewing and listening to the Paley Center's collection of programs and computers that access the library's database. Use of the Scholars Room is available to students and others affiliated with educational organizations at a rate of $15 per day; The Scholar's Room is open: Wednesdays to Sundays 12:00 to 6:00 pm, and 12:00 to 8:00 pm on Thursdays.
- American History in Video
- Digitized documentaries, newsreel films, and archival footage. Rutgers-restricted Access
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies