Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
This is a selected list of databases that you may find useful for finding articles on your topic. You can also check out the
complete list of Rutgers online indexes and databases.
Full Text Not Attached?
Not all databases have all the articles they cite available in full text. Use the button that's in the database article record to have the system search Rutgers subscriptions for the full-text article.
Article Not Available/Only Available in Print?
If the Rutgers Libraries don't have the article (don't subscribe to the journal/don't have that issue), or only have a copy in print format, you can use Interlibrary Loan and Article Delivery Services to request electronic delivery of the article.
To find out how, take a look at this very short video.
- Social Sciences Full Text
- Social Sciences Full Text is the basic index for finding articles in the social sciences. SSI indexes over 550 of the core, English language journals in social science disciplines. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts
- 1975- Index to over 1,300 journals in political science, international relations, public policy and related fields. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Public Affairs Information Service
- 1915- Index to books, reports, government documents, and journals dealing with political, social, and public policy issues. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Sociological Abstracts 1963-
- Index to approximately 1800 scholarly and professional journals in sociology and related disciplines, as well as to books reviews, books, book chapters, dissertations and conference papers. Rutgers-restricted Access.
Looking for articles that focus on economics?
- The primary database for economic literature. Indexes over 750 economic journals, as well as book chapters, research papers, books, dissertations, and working papers. 1969- Rutgers-restricted Access
Interested in issues relating to urban education?
- Education Abstracts/Full Text
- The basic index for finding articles relating specifically to the applied and theoretical aspects of education. Indexes over 500 English language journals in education. Indexes many journals back to 1983. Rutgers-restricted Access
- ERIC - Educational Resources Information Center
- The premier resource for educational research, the ERIC database contains more than one million abstracts covering research documents, journal articles, technical reports, program descriptions and evaluations, and curricular materials in the field of education. 1966+ Rutgers-restricted Access
Interested in issues relating to crime and justice?
- Criminal Justice Abstracts
- Comprehensive index to journals, books, government publications, dissertations, and reports relating to criminal justice, criminology, and related disciplines from 1968 to the present. Note: Until very recently, this index was based on materials found in the Criminal Justice Collection located in the Rutgers Center for Law and Justice in Newark, and remains the most complete catalog for that collection. Rutgers-restricted Access
Interested in issues relating to transportation?
- TRID: the TRIS and ITRD database
- Index to over one million records of transportation research worldwide. Combines the records from TRB’s Transportation Research Information Services (TRIS) Database and the OECD’s Joint Transport Research Centre’s International Transport Research Documentation (ITRD) Database. Includes books, technical reports, conference proceedings, journal articles and other transportation research reports. Highway Research Board publications covered back to 1923. More than 90,000 links to full text.
- Transportation Article File from Northwestern University's Transportation Library. Index to articles, conference papers, and other materials on transportation and law enforcement topics. 1976- .
And if you're looking for articles relating to the history of U.S. cities, you'll want to use America: History and Life, the premier index to American history:
- America: History and Life
- 1964- .The most comprehensive index to American (U.S. and Canada) history. Indexes over 2000 journals worldwide, as well as book reviews and dissertations. Rutgers-restricted Access
Can't resist the urge to Google?
- Google Scholar
- Use the Google search engine to search specifically for scholarly literature including books, peer-reviewed articles, theses, preprints, and technical reports.
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies