Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Money, Weights & Measures
- Civilization of the Ancient Mediterranean: Greece and Rome
- Edited by Michael Grant and Rachel Kitzinger. New York, 1988. 3 volumes.
- 97 signed essays on topics relating to Greece and Rome from prehistory to the fall of Rome. Arranged by broad catagories , e.g., government, technology, economics, religion, social and family life, the arts, etc. Extensive bibliographies. A little dated, but still a good place to find background materials as well as references for your topic. Available?
- A Companion to Ancient Greek Government
- Hans Beck. Chicester: John Wiley & Sons, 2013.
- "A collection of original scholarship on ancient Greek governing structures and institutions."
- Trade, Transport, and Society in the Ancient World: A Sourcebook
- Fik Meijer and Onno van Nijf. . New York, 1992.
- Translated excerpts from Greek and Roman literary works, inscriptions, and papyri concerning trade and transport. Arranged thematically with each section preceeded by an introduction. Available?
- Cambridge Economic History of the Greco-Roman World
- Walter Scheidel, Ian Morris, and Richard P. Saller. New York, 2007.
- Landmark economic history of the ancient world. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Oil, Wine, and the Cultural Economy of Ancient Greece: From the Bronze Age to the Archaic Era
- Catherine E. Pratt, New York, Cambridge University Press, 2021.
- The changing roles of surplus oil and wine in the economies of pre-classical Greek societies.
- The Ancient Economy.
- Moses I. Finley. Berkeley, University of California Press, 1999. updated edition.
- The standard work.
- The Making of the Ancient Greek Economy: Institutions, Markets, and Growth in the City-States
- Alain Bresson. Princeton, N.J., Princeton University Press, 2015.
- The most important recent study of ancient Greek economy.
Subjects: American Studies
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies