Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Newspapers allow you to keep up with current issues and events. You can also use historical newspapers to find out how issues and events were reported during a specific time in history.
News From the Hill
CQ Weekly "Reports on issues looming on the congressional horizon, plus a complete wrap up the previous week's news, including the status of bills in play, behind-the-scenes maneuvering, committee and floor activity, debates and all roll-call votes." Rutgers-restricted Access
Getting the News
Many newspapers allow you to register and receive free access to at least a portion of that day's published articles.
The New York Times
The Washington Post
- Access World News
- Access to the full text of over 600 U.S. and over 700 international newspapers. Includes access to the Newark Star-Ledger back to 1989. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Westlaw Campus Research
- "News" portion indexes the full text of many major newspapers such as the Boston Globe, and the Atlanta Journal and Constitution. Rutgers-restricted Access
- A vast archive which includes the full-text of 8,000 leading newspapers, magazines, trade journals, newsletters, and television and radio transcripts. Ten to twenty year+ backfile for many titles; now the only source for the last three years of the New York Times. Rutgers-restricted Access.
Historical New York Times
- Allows you to search and display the full image of articles published in the New York Times back to 1851. The two+ most recent years are not included; use Factiva to find more recent articles. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Historical Washington Post
- Search and display the full image of articles published in the Washington Post between 1877 and 1993. Rutgers-restricted Access.
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies