Skip to main content
Can't Resist the Urge to Google?
Use the Google search engine to search specifically for scholarly literature including books, peer-reviewed articles, theses, preprints, and technical reports.
What Makes Something "Scholarly?"
Unlike "popular" journal literature, which is written by journalists who cover events and people of interest to the general public or to the particular group that they represent, scholarly literature is written by people with expertise in a particular subject. These experts usually have academic credentials (advanced degrees in a particular area) and the articles are often published in "peer-reviewed" (reviewed by experts in the field) journals.
- Literature Resource Center
- A full-text database of literary resources including biographical material, essays, articles, and excerpts from larger works. Searchable by author, title, genre, literary movement, and theme. A good place to start your research! Rutgers-restricted Access.
- MLA International Bibliography
- 1926- . The most comprehensive index to journal articles, books, dissertations, and other materials relating to literature, folkore, and film studies. Indexes more than 4400 journals. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Literature Online (LION)
- In addition to the full text of over 350,000 English-language literary works, you can select "Criticism" to search over 300 full-text literature journals as well as citations from the Annual Bibliography of English Language and Literature. Rutgers-restricted Access.
Film and Media
- Film and Television Literature Index with Full Text
- A comprehensive bibliographic database covering all types of writing, including industry papers, news journalism, and scholarly academic journals on topics for film and television. Includes full-text for more than 100 journals and 100 books, including Variety film reviews from 1914 to the present, as well as more than 36,000 images from the MPTV Image Archive. Primary coverage 1990 to the present; selective coverage earlier. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Hispanic-American Periodical Index [HAPI]
- 1970- . The major multidisciplinary periodical index for Latin American Studies. Indexes over 400 scholarly journals published in the U.S. and Latin America. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Historical Abstracts
- 1955- . The most comprehensive index to world history (excluding that of the U.S. and Canada) from 1450 to the present. Indexes over 2,000 history and history-related journals worldwide, as well as book reviews and dissertations. Rutgers-restricted Access.
Subjects:African American Studies
, American Studies
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies