Skip to main content
Rutgers Business Research Guides
This guide includes links to all guides for aspects of business.
This guide will lead to many sources of industry data and reports from Rutgers-restricted library databases, the U.S. federal government as well as commercial firms, trade associations, and non-profit organizations.
Industry News and Trade Magazines
Provides links to hundreds of publications arranged by 2-digit NAICS industry.
Rutgers Online and Print Resources
- IBISWorld provides reports for all of the 723 industries in the United States as categorized by the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS). IBISWorld research reports contain trends, statistics, and analysis on market size, market share of competitors, and industry growth rates. The Rutgers subscription to IBISWorld now includes global industry reports as well as reports on industry sectors in China. (Rutgers-restricted access)
- Hundreds of industry sectors for major countries around the world are covered by MarketlLine (Rutgers-restricted access)
- Hundreds of consumer product and service categories are covered by Mintel Reports (Rutgers-restricted access)
- Encyclopedia of American Industries, 5th edition, 2008, has reports on about 1,000 industry sectors as categorized by the Standard Industrial Classification code. (Rutgers-restricted access)
- Encyclopedia of American Industries, 3rd edition, 2004. The 3rd edition is available in print: Vol.1: Manufacturing Industries; Vol.2: Non-manufacturing Industries (CAMDEN, DANA, CARR REF HC 102 .E53)
- The Standard & Poor's Industry Surveys (CARR REF HC 106.6 .S74; DANA Reference Desk) are useful for basic statistics (production, shipment, sales, revenues) for large industry groups but not for all products. The industry you need can be requested from Carr or Dana libraries via Article Delivery.
- The monthly Standard & Poor's Statistical Service (DANA Business Reference; CARR Reference Desk) provides selected current and historical statistics on 12 industries.
- Mergent Online has lengthy reports on 39 major industry sectors for four primary regions of the world. (Rutgers-restricted access)
- More industry sectors are covered by Value Line and Value Line Historical Reports (Rutgers-restricted access) (previously available in print: Value Line Investment Survey (CAMDEN REF HG 4501 .V2; DANA, CARR Reference Desk)) but the overviews are shorter.
U.S. Government Resources list
U.S. Economic Census
The Economic Census, conducted every five years, covers retail trade, wholesale trade, service industries, construction industries, manufactures, mineral industries, transportation, communications, utilities, and financial, insurance, and real estate industries.
Business Librarian and Information Literacy Coordinator