Skip to main content
Literature Resource Center
Contains full text articles about authors and literary classics from many countries. You may search by author, title, or genre (type of literature).
Try this: Title search: [title] Notes from Underground and [author] Dostoyevsky. For a broader view, just search Dostoyevsky from the home page [author search].
Academic Search Premier
Contains some literature among its many subject areas. Searches exact phrases. Will output references in MLA format.
Try this: Advanced search: Notes from Underground AND Dostoyevsky. For a broader view, just search DE "DOSTOYEVSKY, Fyodor, 1821-1881".
Literature Online (LION)
"Searchable full-text of more than 350,000 literary works in the English language--poetry, drama, and prose; 175 full-text literary journals; the Annual Bibliography of English Language and Literature; and reference sources including bibliographies, biographies, and dictionaries."--from the Rutgers website.
Try this: Keyword(s): underground AND Author/Subject(s): "Dostoevskii, Fedor, 1821-81" OR "Dostoevsky, Fyodor" OR "Dostoevsky, Fyodor, 1821-1881" OR "Dostoyevsky, Fyodor Mikhaylovich, 1821-1881"
MLA International Bibliography
One of the oldest lit crit databases, this offering from the Modern Language Association indexes criticism on the literature of all genres, all languages, and all countries, beginning in 1926. The EbscoHost format makes bibliography output in MLA format a breeze.
Try this: Notes from Underground and DE "Dostoevskii, Fedor Mikhailovich"
Ways to Find Full Text Articles
1. The article is linked to full text in your database. ("The 1-click solution.")
2. Click on to search for the article in Rutgers resources automatically. (If Get It @ R sends you directly to the article, it is "the 2-click solution." If you end up at an intermediate screen, click on one of the options, such as SEARCH THE LIBRARY CATALOG BY PERIODICAL TITLE or REQUEST THIS ARTICLE VIA INTERLIBRARY LOAN.)
3. Try the JOURNAL TITLE in the QuickSearch box at http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu.
4. Use the Rutgers version of Google Scholar, which has links to full text owned by Rutgers.
6. Can't find the article anywhere at Rutgers? Go to ILLIAD and use the ARTICLE REQUEST form to obtain the article via interlibrary loan.
Academic Search Premier
Multidisciplinary database ideal for undergraduate students. Searches exact phrases. Will output references in MLA format.
Try some of these:
City or cities or urban
19th or nineteenth
Notes from Underground
Dostoevsk* or Dostoyevsk*
Google Scholar (Rutgers restricted version)
Indexes many items not commonly found in one place elsewhere. Lists PDF or indicates Full Text@Rutgers if readily available. Does not prepare bibliographic output; you must use a citation manager (RefWorks, EndNote, Zotero, or the like) or other method to capture bibliographic information.
Full-text backfiles of important academic journals in many fields. WARNING: Most materials in this database are more than five years old.
Recent full-text articles, primarily in the humanities and social sciences.
ProQuest Social Sciences Premium Collection
A database of databases. Includes PAIS, Worldwide Political Science Abstracts, and more.
ATLA Religion Index
Database in religion and theology. Good for religious aspects of topics.
Covers material in philosophy, including ethics and morality. Good source for moral and ethical aspects of topics.
Searches to try
Alienation in literature