Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Electronic Encyclopedias (RU-login required)
To find books on your topics of interest in the Library Catalog, start by doing a KEYWORD SEARCH to locate appropriate SUBJECTS.
WOMEN'S RIGHTS -- UNITED STATES -- HISTORY -- SOURCES
FEMINISM -- UNITED STATES -- HISTORY -- SOURCES
Tips for Using the Library Catalog
- Use AND to combine concepts: health AND poverty.
- Use OR to combine synomyms, or related terms: 'family violence' OR 'domestic violence.'
- Use the $ (dollar sign) to search for the root word and any ending: inequal$ will retrive inequality, inequalitites.
- Look at subject headings of the full record to generate more search terms.
- Use Advanced Search to combine keywords with subjects. authors, etc
Delivery and Interlibrary Loan
Borrowing period for undergraduates:
Books: 28 days, usually with one renewal of another 28 days.
Music CDs and DVDs: 3 days (go to Media Center at Douglass Library).
If a book is not at your preferred library, you can do "materials delivery" and have it shipped to any library location. It usually takes 3 days. You will receive an email when the book is ready for pick up.
When a book in the Library Catalog is checked out, or it is not part of our collection, you can request it using E-Z Borrow and Interlibrary Loan (ILL).
E-Z Borrow (only books; takes up to 5 days to come in)
Interlibrary Loan (books and articles; takes up to 2 weeks to come in)
Finding and Getting Books
- You may return materials to any Rutgers University Library. You do not need to return items to the same library from which you borrowed them.
- If you need books physically located in another RU library, you can request they be sent to the library of your choice. All requests are done online through the Library Catalog – use the button.
- If you need books either not owned, checked out, or otherwise not available in the Rutgers University Libraries, the fastest way to get them is through E-Z Borrow. Books requested from E-Z Borrow usually arrive in about one week. You will receive a notice in your email when your book(s) are available. Books are loaned for 42 days, and may be renewed once for the same period. You will need your NetID to request books.
- If you need items that are not owned or not available through E-Z Borrow or the RU Libraries, you can request delivery through InterLibrary Loan.
- If the book you need is listed as On-Order, select the Item Special Request button to initiate priority processing and delivery. If the title is listed as Pending or In-Process, select the button to initiate priority processing.
- You may renew circulating materials from the Rutgers University Libraries’ collections at the end of the term, unless they are recalled for another borrower. Click the MY ACCOUNT link in the Library Catalog to review/renew items you have borrowed. Items may be recalled for another patron at any time. No one is guaranteed more than 14 days to use an item.