Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- Critical Trends in Urban Education: Sixth Biennial Survey of America's Great City Schools. October 2006.
- Sixth in a series of polls that survey the leadership of America's major urban public school systems about the challenges they face and their expectations for the future. Poll surveys board members, superintendents, and other leadership staff. For the first time since the inception of the survey in 1994, closing the achievement gap was cited as the number one need in urban public schools
- Hope for Urban Education: A Study of Nine High-Performing, High-Poverty Urban Elementary Schools.
- Washington, D.C., U.S. Department of Education, 1999.
- Study of nine urban schools that used federal Title I dollars to create Title I schoolwide programs Student achievement in mathematics and reading at these schools was higher than the average of all schools in their state Report prepared by the Charles A. Dana Center, University of Texas at Austin.
- "Big City Mayors and School Governance Reform: The Case of School District Takeover,"
- Kenneth K. Wong and Francis X. Shen. PJE: Peabody Journal of Education 78(1), 2003, 5-32.
- Off-Campus Access. Rutgers-restricted Access
- No Child Left Behind Penn GSE Perspectives in Urban Eduation 3(3), 2006.
- Issue devoted to implications and effects of the No Child Left Behind Act on urban education.
- "Student Social Class and Teacher Expectations: The Self-Fulfilling Prophecy in Ghetto Education," Ray C. Rist. Harvard Educational Review 70(3), Fall 2000, 257-301.
- Reprint of Rist's classic 1970 article (Harvard Educational Review 40(3), 1970, 411-451) with a new Introduction by the author.
- Off-Campus Access Rutgers-restricted Access
- Charter Schools and Race: A Lost Opportunity for Integrated Education.
- Erica Frankenberg and Chungmei Lee. Education Policy Analysis Archives 11(32), September 5, 2003.
- Looks at segregation patterns in the nation's charter schools.
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies