Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
use historical newspapers to find out how issues and events were
reported during a specific time in history.
African American Newspapers
- African-American Newspapers
Searchable full-text database consisting of:
Freedom's Journal (New York, 1827-1829)
Colored American (New York, 1837-1841)
North Star (Rochester, N.Y., 1847-1851)
National Era (Washington, DC, 1847-1850)
Frederick Douglass' Paper, (Rochester, N.Y., 1851-1852)
Provincial Freeman, (Toronto, 1854-1857)
Christian Recorder, (Toronto, 1861-1862)
- Chicago Defender
- The Chicago Defender was the most influential African-American newspaper of the 20th century. With the majority of its readership outside the Chicago region, it served as the de facto national black newspaper in the U.S. Search and display the full text of articles published between 1910 and 1975. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Access World News
- Access to the full text of over 600 U.S. and over 700 international newspapers. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Full text of many of the world's important newspapers, including the current New York Times.
- American Periodicals Series Online 1740-1900
- The full text of articles, advertisements, illustrations etc., from American popular and literary magazines and journals that began publication between 1741 and 1900. Search by author, title, article type, publication title, date, and keywords in the full-text. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Historical New York Times
- Allows you to search and display the full image of articles published in the New York Times back to 1851. The two+ most recent years are not included, use Factiva. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Historical Washington Post
- Search and display the full image of articles published in the Washington Post between 1877 and 1993. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Nineteenth Century U.S. Newspapers
- Full-text database of 500 newspapers published between 1800 and 1900. Rutgers-restricted Access.
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies