Is this a topic I have always wanted to know more about?
Does this topic meet the requirements of my project?
* If you are unfamiliar with the topic, it provides a good overview of the subject matter.
* It helps you to identify important facts related to your topic such as terminology, dates, events, history, and relevant names or organizations.
* It can help you refine your topic.
* Background research might lead you to bibliographies that you can use to find additional sources of information.
What terms do you need to know to better understand this issue?
Who is affected by issue?
What are the main controversies associated with the issue?
Who are the key figures and organizations surrounding this issue?
What significant events have occurred related to this issue?
The following sources are useful to identify topics, overviews, background information, concepts, theories, ideas, and key references:
Access World News
Create your free NYT subscription account by clicking the link in the library website: https://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/indexes/nyt-digital
* Science developments - Science Daily
* Technology developments - Popular Mechanics
* International news -BBC
* Interesting and unusual research ideas - JSTOR Daily
* Local issues - Daily Targum; Rutgers Today; or NJ.com
Scan for topic ideas or find background information in PEW Research Reports.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, an equal access/equal opportunity institution. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to direct suggestions, comments, or complaints concerning any accessibility issues with Rutgers web sites to: firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the Report Accessibility Barrier / Provide Feedback Form.