Skip to main content
Gunnar Almgren. Encyclopedia of Social Work. 20th edition. New York, National Association of Social Workers, 2008.
"This entry provides a brief overview of the field of social demography...Social welfare policy is closely linked to the determinants of population change (fertility, mortality, migration and social mobility), both as a cause and as a consequence." Rutgers-restricted Access
- The New Jersey Municipal Data Book. Montclair, N.J., New Jersey Associates, 1981- Annual
- One page summaries [sample] of the population, government, finances, schools, and other characteristics of each of New Jersey's towns and cities.
- ProQuest Statistical Abstract of the United States
- The basic databook for U.S. national-level statistics.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States: 1878-2012
- Data-Planet Statistical Datasets
- Access to data from more than 70 organizational sources. Most data series focus on recent years and a few prior decades, although some data series extend back to the 19th century. Rutgers-restricted Access
General Social Survey
- General Social Survey
- "The GSS contains a standard 'core' of demographic, behavioral, and attitudinal questions, plus topics of special interest. Many of the core questions have remained unchanged since 1972 to facilitate time-trend studies as well as replication of earlier findings. The GSS...has tracked the opinions of Americans over the last four decades." The 1972-2010 GSS has 5,416 variables, time-trends for 2,072 variables, and 268 trends having 20+ data points. You can find links to pre-generated trends or create your own tables.
- ICPSR Data Access & Analysis
- Rutgers is a member of the Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research, a hugh social sciences data archive hosted at the University of Michigan. Rutgers users can download ICPSR data sets and use them to generate charts, graphs, or other statistical reports.
- Off-Campus Access Note: If you're a Rutgers user connecting from off-campus you must use the off-campus link if you're planning on downloading data.
- American FactFinder
- Select query elements to create maps and view data tables based on the 2010 Census, Census 2000, the 1990 Census, the American Community Survey, and the Economic Census.
, Course Guides (Newark)
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies