Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Gunnar Almgren. Encyclopedia of Social Work. 20th edition. New York, National Association of Social Workers, 2008.
"This entry provides a brief overview of the field of social demography...Social welfare policy is closely linked to the determinants of population change (fertility, mortality, migration and social mobility), both as a cause and as a consequence." Rutgers-restricted Access
- The New Jersey Municipal Data Book. Montclair, N.J., New Jersey Associates, 1981- Annual
- One page summaries [sample] of the population, government, finances, schools, and other characteristics of each of New Jersey's towns and cities.
- ProQuest Statistical Abstract of the United States
- The basic databook for U.S. national-level statistics.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States: 1878-2012
- Data-Planet Statistical Datasets
- Access to data from more than 70 organizational sources. Most data series focus on recent years and a few prior decades, although some data series extend back to the 19th century. Rutgers-restricted Access
General Social Survey
- General Social Survey
- "The GSS contains a standard 'core' of demographic, behavioral, and attitudinal questions, plus topics of special interest. Many of the core questions have remained unchanged since 1972 to facilitate time-trend studies as well as replication of earlier findings. The GSS...has tracked the opinions of Americans over the last four decades." The 1972-2010 GSS has 5,416 variables, time-trends for 2,072 variables, and 268 trends having 20+ data points. You can find links to pre-generated trends or create your own tables.
- ICPSR Data Access & Analysis
- Rutgers is a member of the Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research, a hugh social sciences data archive hosted at the University of Michigan. Rutgers users can download ICPSR data sets and use them to generate charts, graphs, or other statistical reports.
- Off-Campus Access Note: If you're a Rutgers user connecting from off-campus you must use the off-campus link if you're planning on downloading data.
- American FactFinder
- Select query elements to create maps and view data tables based on the 2010 Census, Census 2000, the 1990 Census, the American Community Survey, and the Economic Census.
Subjects: American Studies
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies