Skip to main content
This is a selected list of databases that you may find useful for finding articles on your topic. You can also check out the
complete list of Rutgers online indexes and databases.
Full Text Not Attached?
Not all databases have all the articles they cite available in full text. Use the button that's in the database article record to have the system search Rutgers subscriptions for the full-text article.
Article Not Available/Only Available in Print?
If the Rutgers Libraries don't have the article (don't subscribe to
the journal/don't have that issue), or only have a copy in print
format, you can use Interlibrary Loan and Article Delivery Services to request electronic delivery of the article.
To find out how, take a look at this very short video.
Indexes and Databases
- America: History and Life 1964- .
- The most comprehensive index to American (U.S. and Canada) history. Indexes over 2000 journals worldwide, as well as book reviews and dissertations. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- The Kaiser Index to Black Resources, 1948-1986.
- From the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture of the New York Public Library. Brooklyn, NY: Carlson, Pub., Inc. 1992. 5 volumes
- Unique resource based on the collections of the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture. Over 170,000 citations to journal and newspapers articles, books, pamphlets and reports dealing with black history and culture.
- Dana Library Call Number: Ref E185.K25 1992
- Periodicals Index Online/Archive Online
- Multidisciplinary index to over 5000 journals. Scope ranges from 1770 to 1995. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Sociologial Abstracts 1963-
- Index to approximately 1800 scholarly and professional journals in sociology and related disciplines, as well as to books reviews, books, book chapters, dissertations and conference papers. Rutgers-restricted Access.
Looking for articles relating to gender issues?
- Women's Studies International
- 1972- Women's Studies International is the most comprehensive index to women's studies resources. Incorporates citations from Women Studies Abstracts, Women's Studies Bibliography Database, and the Women's Studies Database, among others.
- Off-Campus Access Rutgers-restricted Access.
Looking for articles relating to the Latino experience?
- Hispanic-American Periodical Index [HAPI] 1970- .
- The major multidisciplinary periodical index for Latin American Studies, including Latinos in the United States. Indexes over 500 scholarly journals published in the U.S. and Latin America. Rutgers-restricted Access
There are also two other indexes that may be especially useful when dealing with politics and with public policy issues.
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts 1975-
- Index to over 1,300 journals in political science, international relations, public policy and related fields. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Public Affairs Information Service. 1915-
- Index to books, reports, government documents, and journals dealing with political, social, and public policy issues. Rutgers-restricted Access
Looking for articles relating to journalism, media, or communications?
- Communication and Mass Media Complete
- Full-text coverage of more than 280 titles plus citation coverage for many more. Many major journals searchable back to early 1900s. Rutgers-restricted Access
Looking for articles relating to education?
- Education Abstracts/Full Text
- The basic index for finding articles relating specifically to the applied and theoretical aspects of education. Indexes over 500 English language journals in education. Indexes many journals back to 1983, and, beginning with 1994, includes many full text articles.
- Rutgers-restricted Access
- ERIC - Educational Resources Information Center
- The premier resource for educational research, the ERIC database contains more than one million abstracts covering research documents, journal articles, technical reports, program descriptions and evaluations, and curricular materials in the field of education. 1966+
- Rutgers-restricted Access
Can't resist the urge to Google?
- Google Scholar
- Use the Google search engine to search specifically for scholarly literature including books, peer-reviewed articles, theses, preprints, and technical reports.
Subjects:African American Studies
, American Studies
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies