Skip to main content
Tips for Using the Library Catalog
- Use AND to combine your concepts, e.g., child abuse and alcohol
- Use OR to combine synonyms, related terms, e.g., domestic violence or family violence
- Use the $ (dollar sign) to search for the root word and any ending, e.g., parent$ will retrieve parent, parents, parenthood, parenting.
- Look at the subject headings on the full record for an item-these can help you generate new keywords, concepts, etc.
- Try using the Advanced Search to combine keywords and subject headings, author and title, etc.
Using the Library Catalog to find E-Books
Getting Started: Research Resources
Finding and Getting Books
- You may return materials to any Rutgers University Library. You do not need to return items to the same library from which you borrowed them.
- If you need books physically located in another RU library, you can request they be sent to the library of your choice. All requests are done online through the Library Catalog – on the full record for the title, use the Book Delivery link.
- If you need books either not owned, checked out, or otherwise not available in the Rutgers University Libraries, the fastest way to get them is through E-Z Borrow. Books requested from E-Z Borrow usually arrive in about one week. You will receive a notice in your email when your book(s) are available. Books are loaned for 42 days, and may be renewed once for the same period. You will need your NetID to request books.
- If you need items that are not owned or not available through E-Z Borrow or the RU Libraries, you can request delivery through InterLibrary Loan.
- If the book you need is listed as On-Order, select the Special Request link on the full record for the title to initiate priority processing and delivery. If the title is listed as Pending or In-Process, select the Book Delivery link to initiate priority processing.
- You may renew circulating materials from the Rutgers University Libraries’ collections at the end of the term, unless they are recalled for another borrower. Click the MY ACCOUNT link in the Library Catalog to review/renew items you have borrowed. Items may be recalled for another patron at any time. No one is guaranteed more than 14 days to use an item.