Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Renewing Post World War II Newark
- "Slum Clearance: The Newark Plan,"
- Charles V. Craster. American Journal of Public Health and the Nation's Health 34, September 1944, 935-940.
- A Newark ordinance passed on July 14, 1943 created an office of Supervisor of Rehabilitation of Dwellings to be held by the city Health Officer. "Under this ordianance, any slum building which could not be rehabilitated for a sum not exceeding 50 per cent of the assessed valuation was required to be demolished...the Supervisor could order the rehabilitation of any slum building should the owner refuse to do so." Available?
- The Cost of Slums in Newark.
- Newark, N.J., Housing Authority, 1946. Available?
- The West Side Park Neighborhood: A Historical Perspective.
- Dan McGuire. Report on behalf of the Corinthian Housing Development Corporation, New Brunswick, N.J., Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey. Center for Urban Policy Research Project Community, May 12, 1997.
- Focuses on the "changing socioeconomic conditions in the West Side Park neighborhood between WWII and 1970, as well as on specific historic buildings and resources that exist today." Includes data from 1930 to 1989. Done in conjunction with the Strategic Revitalization Plan for the West Side Community of Newark, N.J.
- The Politics of Slum Clearance: A Study of Urban Renewal in Newark, New Jersey Rutgers-restricted access
- Harold Kaplan. Ph.D. Thesis, Columbia University, 1961. Available?
- Urban Renewal Politics: Slum Clearance in Newark.
- Harold Kaplan. New York, N.Y., Columbia University Press, 1963.
- Focuses on the Newark Housing Authority and how they launched nine slum projects during the first 10 years of Title 1 of the 1949 Federal Housing Act. Looks at urban renewal as a political process. Available?
- Newark: A City in Transition.
- Market Planning Corporation. Newark, N.J., 1959. 3 volumes.
- Prepared for the Mayor's Commission on Group Relations. Vol. 1: The Characteristics of the Population Vol. 2: Resident's Views on Inter-Group Relations and Statistical Tables Vol. 3: Summary and Recommendations Available?
- Newark, Newark Commission for Neighborhood Conservation and Rehabilitation, [1958?].
- Report of the Newark Commission for Neighborhood Conservation and Rehabilitation, whose "objective is Better Housing For All Of The People Of Newark through law enforcement, slum clearance, neighborhood conservation, additional housing, rehabilitation and education."
- Newark Urban Renewal Plan: A Demonstration Grant Project: Conservation, Rehabilitation, Clearance.
- Newark, N.J. Commission for Neighborhood Conservation and Rehabilitation, 1959. Available?
- Economic Development of the Greater Newark Area: Recent Trends and Prospects.
- Business Executives' Research Committee, Rutgers, the State University, 1959. Available?
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies