Skip to main content
Newark History Society
The Newark History Society presents regular public programs and encourages new research on the history of Newark.
Queer Newark. Queer history of Newark. Online exhibit created by Timothy Stewart-Winter and Whitney Strub.
- History of Newark
- Overview of Newark history from its founding to the present. Part of a web site developed to accompany Channel 13's presentation of "A Walk Through Newark."
Charles F. Cummings, the late Newark City Historian, compiled a year-by-year historical chronology of Newark which appeared as a series of articles published in the Newark Star-Ledger in 2001:
- "Newark Begins Storied Past as a Puritan Settlement." January 18, 2001, p.3. [1666-1699]
- "Eventful 18th Century Saw Town Grow and Prosper." January 25, 2001, p.3. [1700-1734]
- "Washington Came Here, and British Marauders Too." February 1, 2001, p.3. [1735-1799]
- "19th Century Was an Age of Auspicious Beginnings and Great Achievements." February 8, 2001, p.3. [1800-1890]
- "Renaissance Came at End of Turbulent 20th Century." February 15, 2001. p.3 [1900-1929]
- "Marking Milestones Along City's Path to the Future." February 22, 2001, p.2. [1930-1999]
- How Newark Became Newark: The Rise, Fall, and Rebirth of an American City.
- Brad R. Tuttle. New Brunswick, N.J., Rutgers University Press, 2009. Available?
- John T. Cunningham. Third edition. Newark, N. J. : New Jersey Historical Society, 2002.
- Popular history of Newark from its founding in 1666 to the first years of the 21st century. Illustrated. pp. 398-399: "Newark in Print." Available?
- The Ironbound: An Illustrated History of Newark's Down Neck
- Edward A. Jardim. Frenchtown, NJ., Stone Creek Publications, 2016. Available?
- The History of Newark, New Jersey: Being a Narrative of its Rise and Progress, From the Settlement in May, 1666, by Emigrants from Connecticut to the Present Time, Including a Sketch of the Press of Newark, From 1791 to 1878.
- Joseph Atkinson. Bowie, Maryland, Heritage Books, 2001.
- Reprint of the first history of Newark published in 1878. Atkinson, himself a journalist (Newark Evening Journal and Newark Free Press), included an Appendix on "The Press of Newark from 1791 to 1878", as well as "Statistics of Newark." Available?
- History of Newark New Jersey by Joseph Atkinson:Index
- Compiled by Public Library of Newark, N.J., 1938.
- Historical Sketch of the City of Newark, New Jersey
- Herbert Thowless. Newark, N.J., 1902.
- A History of the City of Newark, New Jersey: Embracing Practically Two and a Half Centuries, 1666-1913.
- Frank J. Urquhart et al. New York, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1913. 3 volumes. Available?
- Volume 1 available online.
- Volume 2 available online.
- Volume 3 (Biographical Volume) available online.
- Narratives of Newark (in New Jersey) From the Days of its Founding.
- David Lawrence Pierson. Newark, Pierson Publishing, 1917. Available?
- Welcome Back to Newark
- Oscar Israelowitz and Brian Merlis. Brooklyn, NY, Israelowitz Publishing, 2019.
- Photographs with background commentary.
- Jean-Rae Turner and Richard T. Koles. Charleston, SC : Arcadia, 2000.
- Photographic history of Newark. Part of the "Making of America" series. Available?
- Newark: A Chronological & Documentary History, 1666-1970.
- Arnold S. Rice. Dobbs Ferry, N.Y., Oceana Publications, 1977.
- Chronology (17th to 20th century) of important events in the history of Newark with accompanying excerpts from city and state documents, pamphlets, and Newark newspapers. Available?
- A Short History of Newark
- Frank J. Urquhart. Newark, N.J., Baker Printing Company, 1910.
- Woodside, the North End of Newark, N.J.: Its History, Legends, and Ghost Stories, Gathered From the Records and the Older Inhabitants Now Living.
- Charles Gilbert Hine. New York, Hine's Annual, 1909. Available?
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies