Skip to main content
- Newark Business Collection (1807-2005)
- Newark Public Library collection. Pamphlets, catalogues, business cards, ink blotters, and other printed material related to the promotion and history of various Newark businesses.
- Business and Industrial Coordinating Council (BICC) Collection
- Established in 1963, the Council was formed to address issues of employment inequities. The collection, which includes reports, minutes, training manuals, and budgets, has been digitized by the Newark Public Library.
- "Newark at Work" Research Materials (ca. 1936-1942)
- Part of the Work Projects Administration (WPA) New Jersey Writers' Project Historical Records Survey, the collection consists of extensive research materials, including typed extracts from many publications as well as original interviews carried out by project staff. The firms visited range from those with a handful of workers to those with hundreds of employees. New Jersey State Archives.
Economic and Business Statistics
Newark in the Survey of Business Owners
The publications of the Greater Newark Chamber of Commerce (and the earlier Newark Association of Commerce and Industry) highlighted Newark programs and events; included features on prominent Newarkers and Newark (and North Jersey) institutions; and included a lot of local advertising.
- Newark Commerce
- Newark, N.J., Greater Newark Chamber of Commerce, 1956-1967. Available?
- Newark, N.J., Greater Newark Chamber of Commerce, 1967-1975. Available?
- Metro Newark!
- Newark, N.J., Greater Newark Chamber of Commerce, 1975-1987. Available?
- Metro Newark!
- June/July 1980 issue.
- Immigrant Entrepreneurship, Institutional Logics, and Informality: A Study of Entrepreneurs and Urban Entrepreneurship Policy in Newark, New Jersey
- Lutisha S. Vickerie. (Ph.D. Thesis) Rutgers University--Newark, 2018.
- "This qualitative study profiles the way immigrant entrepreneurs from African and Caribbean countries navigate a different institutional environment than their home country."
- Urban food entrepreneurship, governance, and economic development in the post-industrial cities of Newark, New Jersey and Dayton, Ohio
- John C. Jones. (Ph.D Thesis) New Jersey Institute of Technology, 2018.
- "This dissertation documents urban food entrepreneurship in the post-industrial communities of greater Newark, New Jersey and greater Dayton, Ohio. The dissertation examines both: a) the characteristics of existing enterprises; and b) the network of laws, policies, regulations, and incentives that affect them."
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies
Women in the Labor Force
Women's Labor in the Global City. Carmen-Laura Lovin. (Ph.D Thesis), Rutgers University New Brunswick, 2014.
"This dissertation explores depictions of working women in three transnational urban spaces, Sibiu (Romania), Berlin (Germany) and Newark (New Jersey, USA)." Available?